Re: Unlimited Data
scarshapedstar
Contributor - Level 1

"Now how many people like me would it take to kill the network in my area?"

If there are two ways for this network to function:

A) If 4+ people use 4g, the whole system crashes and burns

B) If 4+ people use 4g, their individual bandwidth is divided

And Verizon chose option A, um, they need to hire new people. Because from what I can tell:

" LTE supports scalable carrier bandwidths, from 1.4 MHz to 20 MHz and supports both frequency division duplexing (FDD) and time-division duplexing (TDD)."

They're doin' it rong.

Not applicable

Verizon uses 10 MHz for downlink which has a Peak Spectrum Efficiency of 15 bps per MHz so that would be about 150 Mbps. The average sector has about 400 people but it could be over 1000. Tether your phone to you PC and stream Netflix in HD that's nearly 5 Mbps. Do the math and tell me what % of people can ruin it for everyone else? Now can caps be higher? Sure. Unlimited no. And I'm sure caps will go up once Verizon kills off the unlimited for everyone.

budone
Legend
Brian, VZW DID say x amount of users use x amount of data to promote the new tiers, saying the new tiers work for what was it 98% of their subscribers?
Not applicable

budone wrote:

Brian, VZW DID say x amount of users use x amount of data to promote the new tiers, saying the new tiers work for what was it 98% of their subscribers?

Yeah and? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

You said VZW can't say such a thing.

Not applicable

budone wrote:

You said VZW can't say such a thing.

No I didn't.

0 Likes
karensteed

I still have unlimited data, but I broke my phone, and even with my own "new: used phone, they are going to end my unlimited data plan. 

I have been with Verizon for over 12 years and also would like to change opmpanies

0 Likes
sfsmadrush
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unless the phone you bought was unsubsidized, they will end your unlimited plan.  If it was indeed an unsubsidized phone, has Verizon changed their policy?

0 Likes
Not applicable

You only lose unlimited if you get a subsidized phone. For example you got a $600 Galaxy SIII for $200 and you signed a new contract. If you bought a used phone off of ebay or something and you just swapped phones no you won't lose unlimited.

0 Likes
ajdallas

First, every national carrier has an upgrade fee and verizon happens to be the least expensive of the 4. Also Verizon is not that expensive when compared to the other 3 contract carriers, give or take 5 or so dollars. im sure no one took the time to analyze verizons financial statements.  In those statements you will find why verizon charge what they charge and why unlimited data is a thing of the past. it is not cheap to maintain and operate 4g lte. yes unlimited was nice but all great things must come to an end. eventually, that concept as a whole will end in its entirety. frankly all people want is free free free. take consideration that its a matter of time before you will no longer see free or 2yr contract price devices. Like the european and south asian markets you will find some top carriers charging full retail for a phone. currently tmobile is the first us carrier to tinker with that idea and once they master you will find the other three doing it. actually prepaid carriers are doing that now and been doing that for awhile now. sorry for any typos or grammar im using my tablet.

0 Likes