Unresolved charging problems after kitkat upgrade on S3
hollep
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did an upgrade to Kitkat 2 days ago on my S3 and now my phone won't charge.  It most of the time has a red X through the battery or does not recognize that it is plugged up.  Twice I have gotten it up to 50%, then it still says charging and the battery level goes down.  This is when it is on or off.  Things I have tried:

Different chargers

Different batteries

Different locations

Wiping the cache

Hard factory reset

Now a have a reset phone that has Kitkat on it and won't charge.

Spent an hour last night on the phone trying to get answers or a new phone and my account was down for upgrades.  When I tried to log into my account this morning it is still down for upgrades.  Is there anything I can do?

Labels (1)
Re: Unresolved charging problems after kitkat upgrade on S3
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hollep,

Lets get your phone charging again! Have you tried any Rapidly Charging Chargers? They may just do the trick!

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tibbar10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem. The red x is a very slow trickle charge. I get a black lightening bold and fast charge with a kindle charger plugged into the wall. I just spoke to Verizon because after the update the phone doesn't hold a charge. They offered me an early upgrade, which I didn't take. They are getting back to me with a better offer. I asked for a free s5

0 Likes
LEinOH
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem here.  Just upgraded, red X in the charging icon on a charger that worked JUST FINE before the upgrade.

This is an upgrade that is not the native upgrade from Samsung, but a doctored version from Verizon.   Just sayin'

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Call Samsung. Tell them you need a patch or a new phone.

dmtml
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having the same issues here.  I have numerous chargers that DO work, but 4 others that no longer work after the update.

0 Likes
hollep
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I am now 10 days without a working cell phone, thanks Verizon!  I managed to order a new phone, old one is still dead and will not charge, was supposed to be here when I got back except for Verizon entered the address incorrectly and it is sitting at a FedEx place now.  Not open on Sundays and I leave again tomorrow morning before they open.  Looks like it will take me 2 more days for Verizon to fix their mess.

0 Likes
SunkissedSmiles
Enthusiast - Level 2

Im having the same issue, ever since the update.  My 3rd party car chargers (x2) no longer work, my wall chargers (x3) no longer work!  It would be a shame to loose my family's service should this not be corrected!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello hollep,

Here I am to save the day! We want you to stay connected with you device, especially while on the go. May I ask did you get your device delivered to the correct address yet? If so then please let me know if you need any assistance with setting up your new device. If not then do you have another device that we can activate for you in the meantime? If you do not have an additional phone and would like help with your current device that will not charge then please provide the details so we can help. Your reply is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
hollep
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I changed my schedule around and picked it up this morning from FedEx.  Will set it up tonight.  Total time spent on this: over 6 hours, should have taken 30 minutes.