Unwanted Apps
igovirginmobile
Contributor - Level 1

So if Verizon and other companies refuse to remove bloat ware go fot the jugular..their money stream. Find out who published the bloat ware and complain to them..blog, post, call waste everyones time until the cost of getting rid of the bloat ware is less than the cost of handling the blow back. Do the math, clog up their customer service enough and they may make a different business decision. If everyone of those who purchased smart phones called customer service to complain one time each day something would have to give.

0 Likes
Re: Unwanted Apps
chubbywolf

I will be discontinuing my "Way to Smart" smart phone when my contract comes due all because of the pre-loaded apps.  I pay enough to Verizon in monthly charges that I should not have to put up with apps I don't want.  I am going back to the standard cell phone with txt.  My work phone will last 2 weeks without charging and I leave it on all the time.  If I want apps I'll buy an iPod Touch and use my wireless.  I am sure Verizon is not the only cellular company that is doing this but it is the company that I use and that I like.  So Verizon, you can choose between the app developers or your customers.  My choice will be to no longer give you over $200.00 a month.  Yes I feel better now.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

You do realize that basic phones also have reinstalled software that users may not want?   This has been the practice of carriers for years but slowly the options is being added to remove of disable the software but its not quite there yet..

ICS is the closes OS that has this option...

0 Likes
randomanonymousblackm

After being a customer with VZW for 10 years, I think this will end my relationship with VZW.

I have a Droid 1 that I was able <Deleted per the TOS> Android 2.3.3 so I could get rid of all the bloatware.  I have been running this for nearly 2 years on this phone (phone is 3 years old) and I don't want to upgrade but the hardware is starting to fail

I don't use Facebook, I don't use Kindle or a number of the other applications that come pre-installed on my phone and hey guess what Verizon if I did want them I would install them from the Google Play store.  Verizon should realize that all the extra applications do kill the battery life and eat up storage that we the customer pay for. 

I will be looking for another carrier once this phone completely dies.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

And what do you plan to do after you go to another carrier and realize that they are doing the same thing, preinstalled software is one of the methods carriers use to help subsidize the devices and offer discounts to allow the customer  to get device cheaper than the retailed price.

The software is installed in a a storage partition that isn't accessible by the user so even if the apps are not installed the amount of available storage wont change much.

As for using resources being used, there is none because most of the apps are dormant until you open the app and agree that you want to use the app.

Now dont get me wrong I do not like the number of apps that I dont plan to be used being installed and cant be removed but this has been a normal practice for a number of companies for years..  

When all said and done changing carriers wont change this issue because all carriers at this time have Bloatware installed on their devices.

0 Likes