VZW customer support: When will you fix Galaxy S5 Lollipop upgrade?
MrMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's been four weeks since I upgraded my Galaxy S5 to Android 5.0, and all of the problems I've had with Lollipop still persist: Running hot, horrid battery life, laggy response.

There have been at least a dozen threads started here with scores of people complaining about the same issues. Several Verizon customer support reps have responded, but their responses are always the same canned text. ("Did you drop your phone in water?" "Have you cleared the partition cache?" "What third-party apps are using most of the CPU cycles?") Yes, I've done all that, and nothing has had any affect.

Dear Verizon customer support: This is not a problem with our phones. This is a problem with the Lollipop upgrade. When will you stop asking us the same irrelevant questions over and over and actually start looking into this problem with an eye toward fixing it? Is your tech support team even aware of this problem? If not, why not?

Labels (1)
Re: VZW customer support: When will you fix Galaxy S5 Lollipop upgrade?
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Whenever there is a software update it is always recommended to do a master reset. That will solve your issue.

0 Likes
digikiwam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeaaaah, just make sure you do a backup before doing a factory reset.  Just Google Drive everything then it restores when you log back into your google account.

JungleKat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ditto to Customer Support:  When are you going to listen to the people!  We are at the mercy of the developers and Verizon who must live in a vacuum.  Just completed the Lollipop upgrade and have deeply regretted it.  Lost considerable functionality with the notifications bar and don't like the looks of their "vivid design, bold colors, and fluid animation."  My phone now says extended network all the time even though my mobile data is on.  Couldn't even make calls today.  Battery life is reduced.

All the issues everyone has identified continue to fall on deaf ears, or so it appears.  The internet is full of community forums discussing and sharing the same problems.  Deeply disappointed in Verizon and Google.  Perhaps Verizon tech support is well aware of the problem and they are trying to avoid delivering bad news "we can't do anything about it!  It is what it is!" 

MrMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

First of all, if you've bothered to read the many complaints about the S5 Lollipop upgrade, you'll notice that a hard reset is no guarantee of solving the overheating and battery life problems. At least as many people who have gone that route have seen no improvement as have.

Secondly, if a hard reset is a requirement for anyone who upgrades, then why didn't Verizon disclose that to users beforehand? That's a big step, one that takes hours to do right and results in lost productivity. It's not acceptable to force users to do that.

ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

Factory Reset didn't do anything to fix my phone, absolutely nothing. I've done it twice, and wipe the cach.

So..... Verizon..... Now what?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you doing a reset ShanaK! I have sent you a private message so I can further assist on your account.
AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MrMP, I can understand your concern. We always want to make sure that the software that came from the manufacturer is working for you. There could be several things that may impact battery life, specifically after an operating system upgrade or software update. After an Software Update, certain parts of the memory system may be altered/optimized/cleared depdending on the specific update in question. The application memory areas may have to be optimized. This can take time and cause the devcie to temporarily use more battery while the optimization is in progress. Also, it can take time for the new software to optimize its performance and for the device's battery life to normalize. Lastly, downloaded application may not be optimized for the new Software version. This may result in higher than normal battery drain until the application is updated or removed.

The device will take some time to normalize, generally 2-3 days. Beyond that time period there may be situations where downloaded applications developers do not immediately update their application to support new versions of the System.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

They aren't complaints. It's sheer laziness on people's parts to not do the reset. People want the new update but don't wanna take the time to make sure it works correctly and therefore complain, which in itself is unacceptable.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

And if you have a problem with that take it up with the software maker, Google. Or the manufacturer. It's not a Verizon issue.