Re: VZW customer support: When will you fix Galaxy S5 Lollipop upgrade?
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Several options then.

Activate a previously used device until a "patch" comes out. If you don't have one ask a friend or family member.

Get a warranty replacement.

Send it to samsung to be fixed.

Suspend the line without billing.

The software update is manufactured by Google and sent to the phone manufacturer which then is sent to the carriers. The carriers are not wholly responsible. Your anger should be directed appropriately.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

A high end phone or any phone should not need a factory data reset before or after a normal update. Even if the update is 1 GB or more. One or two system wipes should be done and a wait period of time ..and only if major problems. Phones are computers but phone owners are end users and not part-time conpany repair techs. Users pay for normal phone/network use and not down time.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Ah but it DOES need one. So either get used to it or go back to a basic phone.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

You go your way and I'm happy with what has and continues to works for me.  I wish you the best..    Smiley Happy

ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

https://twitter.com/SamsungSupport/status/564883928222560256

Actually Samsung has passed the buck onto Verizon in our case.

MrMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

ShanaK, thanks for the Twitter link. That's important.

There's actually a chain of responsibility here that starts with Google, goes to Samsung, and then finishes with Verizon. If an update causes problems, then all three of them should be working together to fix it.

Instead, it seems that the response from these three companies is going to be:

see-no-evil.jpg

MrMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Get used to it."

Always a good business slogan.

I'm starting to wonder if pherson is secretly the CEO of Verizon.

JungleKat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Pherson, just curious, do you work for Verizon, Samsung, or Google?  You sound very technically savvy; regrettably, the average phone user doesn't have the same level of knowledge or experience you have apparently.   Consumers across the carriers are having problems with this software and reading other forums, people have had little success carrying out all the tasks you have suggested to them.   Weeks have passed with little or no response from the providers.   I spent years managing a customer contact center for communications and this attitude of "get used to it" is a consumers nightmare.  I'm not a firm believer in the "customer is always right", but in this case they certainly are and the providers have done zip about managing anyone's expectations or problems.  Bottom line, the product has major bugs, wasn't tested adequately before the release, and clearly wasn't vetted with a group of "average users."    The providers-Google, Samsung, Verizon-need to fess up and step up.   

pherson
Champion - Level 1

I work for none of the 3.

0 Likes
smichaeln75
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but worth trying anyway, because it seemed to fixed the problem for me. My phone was experiencing many of the same things:

- Overheat with simple use

- Jerky, lock-up behavior (at one point took over 90 seconds just to type in my pin and power it off)

- Rapid battery drain

I didn't seem to have any WiFi/4G issues others have referenced though. In any case, I found another site last night, and the poster there recommended getting rid of Facebook and Messenger. It seems those apps aren't updated to work with Lollipop yet, so they are having problems. I did that, and now 13 hours later, my phone is back to what it used to be pre-upgrade in all respects.

Specific steps:

1. Go into Tools --> Settings --> Applications

2. Find Facebook Messenger in the list and click on it.

3. Click Clear Cache, then Clear Data. It will warn you this wipes it all, but that's what you want.

4. Click Uninstall

5. Find Facebook app itself in the list

6. Click Clear Cache, then Clear Data. It will warn you this wipes it all, but that's what you want.

7. Click Uninstall

8. REBOOT the phone

Literally since I did this 13 hours ago, I have not had one single problem with the phone! Woke up this morning and the battery had only drained 5% overnight, which was normal before. Some of the developers haven't updated their apps (even though they had 6+ month notice about it) so some of them are struggling. If you still have the problem after the above, you may want to try this with your other apps one by one until it goes back to normal.

A factory reset by itself doesn't work because as soon as you sign in with your Google account the first time, the Play Store automatically starts downloading and installing your apps for you. If there is a "bad" app that has been causing the problem, it's just going to reinstall it, so you have the problem again. Uninstalling your apps one by one helps narrow down what's causing the problem (and rebooting each time).

I realize this can be tedious, and I also know some people heavily use FB, but at least this may get your phone working again until FB gets off their rears and does something with it.

Then again, maybe this was just coincidence and I lucked out. If it doesn't work you, you can always reinstall the app.