Re: VZW customer support: When will you fix Galaxy S5 Lollipop upgrade?
ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

The sheer amount of people who are complaining that the update was rolled out with major bugs begs to differ. Lollipop came out with issues across carrier platforms.

The issues people are taking with Verizon is that they got the update from Samsung and proceeded to roll it out and wont' admit that there are Major issues with it and the S5.

Personally,

I've wiped the cache,

I've wiped and left only the OS left on it. (no apps beyond what the phone gave me)

Soft Reset

Hard Reset x2 ( Every reset more crap breaks)

*I understand and accept that this is not everyone's problem. Just as you need to accept that not everyone's update launch apparently went as smooth as yours.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I lost 10% battery life post update just while talking to a Verizon Support Tech for 20 minutes.

Basic phone functions such as the audio and video (basic/built into the phone) apps aren't working.

My Contacts and always forcing themselves to shutdown.

My wifi and Verizon signal continually pick up and drop off. (to the point the service tech couldn't even look at the phone to see if it was healthy)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

** All of the above never happened before the lollipop update. My phone worked wonderfully.

People are angry because Verizon Support doesn't seem to be listening.

Personally, I had two support tech greet me and hang up immediately after I posted my issue is with the S5 lollipop.

Facebook support is just as helpful in telling you to do stuff, after you've already done it and repeating the process.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

It's not a "sheer amount of people" it's basically two handfuls who on posts have said they will mot hard reset because they do not want to have to set up their devices all over again. Carriers get tired of people complaining that another carrier released the software so why didn't we get it etc and that there shouldn't have to be testing. Then when they release it and it has "bugs" they say oh why didn't you test it before released?! It's a dual edged sword. But as I stand by saying, a hard reset and waiting a few days for it to optimize will solve the problems. Otherwise it's user error.

0 Likes
ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

Well then....

Updated back in early February........It's now March. (think we've passed the "wait a few days"

Cache Wipes

OS

Soft Resets-

2x Hard Resets- Since I don't have any control after you hit the reset button. Hard to see it being user error.

And my phone was still unusable and broken as crap, and with every step that was thrown up as a fix it got progressively worse.

MrMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

@KevinR_VZW,

Thank you for responding in this thread, but that is exactly the kind of non-response that I've seen repeatedly (and already received myself from other techs!).

If you had read my original post, you'd have noticed that it's been 4 weeks since I updated, and I'm still having these problems. So are many other S5 users. This is, for most people, not something that goes away in "2–3 days."

So, let me repeat: Are Verizon techs aware of this problem? Are they working on a patch that will fix it?

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Then either call and get a warranty replacement or send it to samsung and be without a phone for several weeks. Your call.

0 Likes
MrMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

pherson,

I don't mean for this to turn ugly, but I'm starting to wonder if you're actually going out your way to be a jerk. Verizon hoses my phone and you accuse me of being "lazy"?

Sorry, that doesn't fly. If a hard reset is required with an upgrade, then users need to be informed of that. A hard reset is a big deal for people like me who have a lot of apps and have spent a lot of time customizing my phone so it works just how I want it. A hard reset means resinstalling close to 100 apps and configuring many of them. Screw that.

I'm happy for you that a hard reset isn't a big loss of time. For some of us, it is.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Normal Samsung turn-around time is 14 days.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

It's common knowledge that when a major software update occurs that you have to do a hard reset. If you call support they will ALSO tell you the same thing. If you aren't aware of that, that's not my or verizon fault. The fact is it must be done. Even after that there are apps that haven't been "written" for 5.0 yet so you can still have issues so you will have to wait it out. It's not being a jerk, it's called not only being knowledgeable but also having common sense. All these complaints are unwarranted.

0 Likes
ShanaK
Contributor - Level 2

Except Samsung is not fully acknowledging the fact that the Lollipop update has royally screwed some phones to the point they are beyond working.

Step 1: Samsung refers you to the phone provider. Or they say, we are working on it. 

*Working on it doesn't give people a timeline when to expect their phones to work. In the meantime those with issues are supposed to keep paying their bills for unusable phones.

Step 2: Verizon technically didn't produce the update and can refer you back to samsung.

0 Likes
MrMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

pherson,

Playing the "common knowledge" card doesn't work. If a hard reset is required, then that fact needs to be disclosed. If users aren't aware of that, then it is Verizon's fault. Full disclosure of all the results of an upgrade is simply good business practice.

And, if you take a look at the longest thread on this subject, you'll see that there are over 175 comments from other people who feel the same way as I do.

I, for one, am getting tired of you insinuating that I'm stupid for not realizing something you think is obvious.