Re: Re: Verizon Help Please! Stage Fright
Tidbits
Legend

prumsey wrote:

Negative heartbleed was part of a core component of Android as well called SELinux which is more so involved than just the MMS components.

Fair enough- I am reading that the T-Mobile update is a 50MB or so patch update. However, and again, there's still something to be said that the other carriers are pushing this out and Verizon is not. Samsung seems to be directly following the lead behind Google, even announcing a new program today that will provide monthly security patches, so I would say that Samsung is doing more than their part. (Samsung to fast track security updates with new monthly update plan | Android Central)

That's because Google forced manufacturers to go with a modular design since 4.3 and it is starting to take effect.  Core components can be updated on the fly now with little testing and work.  I actually talked about it heading that route and how it would be better for Android.  To get Android licensed to use Google services you need to comply with Google's standards.  They should have done this a long time ago.

That shows what I have been saying you know.  How is Samsung going to fast track security updates if they have to wait for carriers to approve updates? 

Re: Re: Re: Verizon Help Please! Stage Fright
prumsey
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's because Google forced manufacturers to go with a modular design since 4.3 and it is starting to take effect.  Core components can be updated on the fly now with little testing and work.  I actually talked about it heading that route and how it would be better for Android.  To get Android licensed to use Google services you need to comply with Google's standards.  They should have done this a long time ago.

That shows what I have been saying you know.  How is Samsung going to fast track security updates if they have to wait for carriers to approve updates? 

See, now it sounds like you and I are on the same page! I too would love it if carriers were simply bypassed for these sort of updates. This is exactly my point, if the carriers got out of the way this would be so much better!!!! Like iPhone service for Androids!

Don't you see???? Verizon IS the problem! Smiley Happy

Re: Verizon Help Please! Stage Fright
Tidbits
Legend

I wanted to add...

I am a firm believer that manufacturers should be liable for everything and consumers should hound the manufacturers.  The reason why our system is broken because we always go after the carriers.  In Europe they do how I say it should be done, and they get far better support.  They go through the carrier testing(Yes they do this), they go through ITU testing(similar to FCC testing), and they can also buy under contract.  I am willing to bet 10M+ customers hounding the manufacturer for an update instead of the carrier would move things faster   Bring back the art of boycotting.

theonlycoop
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually there is plenty of blame for the carriers as well. Verizon has along history of delaying updates for all devices not named Apple. If the carriers step back some then we would all be surprised how fast updates would be pushed out. For example with stage-fright the other 3 majors have begun pushing out the update within days of the carrier releasing the patch except one. And that one carrier is Verizon. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Apple is a bad example. It looks timely however if you done their ADC they wait until all their devices are ready before they push put an update. Android manufacturers could do the same thing. Also it isn't always Verizon that's last and it isn't always the carriers that are the delay. On multiple occasions when Sony and Google did their AOSP project together their biggest delay was always certifications. This is one of the reasons why Google made the PDK to shorten that process as much as they could. Also in that project they found carrier testing took an average of 2 weeks anywhere worldwide barring a major bug which then it goes back to the manufacturers.

Tidbits
Legend

T-Mobile has pushed it out for 1 device....  No other devices.... That's hardly pushing it out. That exact same manufacturer hasn't even submitted fixes in their own country. Food for thought.

0 Likes
JerzeyBoy

Has Verizon issued a position or statement on this?

0 Likes