Re: Verizon SUCKS!
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I'm not familiar with the issue but I'm curious what happens when users contact Samsung or any of the manufacturers that were affected by the bad update? Are they refusing to offer a fix or do they just keep telling you that you have to wait? Some of the complaints about Android updates and how they affect some devices have always made me a little cautious with every trying their products although I keep trying to decide when to take the plunge. Apple is generally pretty good with supporting their products even after they have been "retired" for awhile but it seems like that's not always the case with some Android devices.

0 Likes
pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

If you're out of warranty (like me) Samsung's response is "too bad". If you're under one year warranty, they give you a refurbished (CPO phone from Verizon), that has the same problem. Some people have reported receiving 2 or 3 replacement phones.....all with the same problem.

Verizon's final answer seems to be "buy a new(er) phone".

Not applicable

The Certified Like New devices come from the manufacturer of your device. Not Verizon Wireless.

They don't make devices.

Good Luck

0 Likes
pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

Yes, I know. HOWEVER, Verizon will exchange phones that are still in warranty and THAT was my point; they are CPO and still defective.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yep that is right, they are junk.

Verizon only acts as a go between so you don't have to wait weeks from the device makers.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

pzjagd1 wrote:

Yes, I know. HOWEVER, Verizon will exchange phones that are still in warranty and THAT was my point; they are CPO and still defective.

Elector wrote:

Yep that is right, they are junk.

Verizon only acts as a go between so you don't have to wait weeks from the device makers.

I find it ironic MANY people claim CPO devices are all defective pieces of junk, however whenever anyone trades in a phone they just as often claim they got ripped off by not getting full value for the device they returned which was in "perfect working condition." It is amazing how all of these devices which are in "perfect working condition" suddenly turn in to "junk" which are "still defective" as soon as they are returned as warranty replacements. What happened to that phone in "perfect working condition" to make it a "piece of junk" other than that it is NOT NEW when returned as a warranty replacement??????

You can't have it both ways. All of these devices which are returned in "perfect working condition" can't be "defective junk" when sent back out as replacements.

For what it is worth, the ONLY time I have ever had a warranty replacement it worked fine for ~16 months until I purchased a new device. It wasn't a piece of junk and still sits in a drawer ready to be placed into service if I ever need it.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Not applicable

Lets stand back and look at the whole process here.

You buy any device new, once you use it I consider it USED so an even exchange is not out of the question.

However, the condition of the device you returned may not have had the issues as the other devices that are now sent back as Certified Like New with a 100 point check.

From reading just on this forum, the question of that 100 point check is sorely in question. Some folks have had 3-4 device replacements one after the other after sending in that first broken device. Do you have any idea how the odds are against that?

Makes the adage of you get another persons problem which could have been worse than what you exchanged the device for. But that is the risk.

Like I told you years ago, I don't do any warranty exchanges. I prefer to buy all new. And yep there can be a problem with new devices but I have been lucky that I never needed to use the exchange warranty.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Elector wrote:

Lets stand back and look at the whole process here.

I am looking at the whole process. Most people who trade in a phone for credit claim that the phone they trade in is in "perfect working condition", I have seen it on these forums countless times. What do you think happens with those trade ins? They get sold as CPO devices or sent out as warranty replacements. Now that "perfectly working phone" gets tested to certify it, whether 100 point check or whatever, and then gets sent out where invariably the receiver will claim it is a piece of junk. That is certainly a rigorous test to turn a "phone in perfect working condition" into a piece of junk. The testing process must certainly include getting run over by a car!

Elector wrote:

You buy any device new, once you use it I consider it USED so an even exchange is not out of the question.

I agree completely.

Elector wrote:

From reading just on this forum, the question of that 100 point check is sorely in question. Some folks have had 3-4 device replacements one after the other after sending in that first broken device. Do you have any idea how the odds are against that?

I agree the odds are certainly against it and tend to think this is more a case of the person in question not giving the replacement device a chance, hoping to get a NEW device instead OR not actually understanding the device in the first place OR having unreasonable expectations for a device. ANY of those scenarios are just as if not more likely than receiving 3-4 defective replacements.

Elector wrote:

Like I told you years ago, I don't do any warranty exchanges. I prefer to buy all new. And yep there can be a problem with new devices but I have been lucky that I never needed to use the exchange warranty.

This I certainly don't understand. I prefer to buy all new, too, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't accept a phone at no cost for a warranty replacement. Even by doing this you are not violating your preference of "buy all new", you are still doing that since you aren't "buying" the replacement. You would prefer to simply throw out a device and purchase a new one instead of taking the chance of receiving a perfectly working device in exchange for absolutely no cost? Whatever floats your boat I guess. You could simply get the replacement and if it didn't work throw THAT device out with no skin off you back.

0 Likes
Not applicable

[Quote]

You would prefer to simply throw out a device and purchase a new one instead of taking the chance of receiving a perfectly working device in exchange for absolutely no cost?

[/Quote]

I don't necessarily waste my time.

Having to go through the exchange process its a risk to get a device that actually works.

It is a risk that Verizon does not try and say they never got it back (even with a tracking verification) nor to have Verizon say it was returned but it has water or physical damage.

It is not worth the risk.

Or the added charges and the hassle of taking them to court. Although I have taken big companies to court and won it is still a big inconvenience.

There is no amount of spin from anyone that can say with 100%  certainty the devices sent out as certified like new have actually been repaired.

In fact since they say they don't take water damaged or broken devices, then a simple flash back to factory should make the device like new. But read the stories these people cannot all be liars.

But I am a softy

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

As usual, we have a difference of opinion.

Elector wrote:

Having to go through the exchange process its a risk to get a device that actually works.

I don't find this a risk. I have a device that doesn't work. At worst I STILL have a device which doesn't work. As of right now my track record of getting a fully functioning device in return stands at 100%.

Elector wrote:

It is a risk that Verizon does not try and say they never got it back (even with a tracking verification) nor to have Verizon say it was returned but it has water or physical damage.

This certainly is a risk. The way I see people treating their phones, though, I find it unusual that even MORE people don't send in their phones only to find out their devices have physical/water damage. I see more people with cracked screens, whether android/apple/windows/bb it doesn't matter. I see them sitting out in the rain, placing them down on the hood of their car and then driving off, laying them down in the grass of their back yard and then retrieving them the following morning, etc...

I tend to treat my devices with a bit more care. The amount of people who claim they have never been able to make a phone last 2 yrs seems to be awfully high since I routinely can do so as do my wife and 2 teenage daughters.

As it is, the only time I ever returned a phone for warranty replacement, it was promptly received and catalogued in without any problems. No damage found, water or physical.

Elector wrote:

Or the added charges and the hassle of taking them to court. Although I have taken big companies to court and won it is still a big inconvenience.

Since I have yet to need to do this with Verizon, the next time will be my first. The only time I have gone to small claims court in the past, it was successful. All you need is the proof to back up your claim. It is amazing how many people think showing up without ANY proof still think they will win.

Elector wrote:

There is no amount of spin from anyone that can say with 100%  certainty the devices sent out as certified like new have actually been repaired.

As is there no amount of spin from anyone that can say with 100% certainty that the majority of complaints for non-working devices received as warranty devices are simply people not happy with how the phone works even though it is working as designed. From the amount of claims of unhappy customers with warranty returns, I would think only a small amount of warranty devices actually are non-working. Even if there were 1000 complaints on here every year(which I don't think there are), I would wager there are 100 times that many warranty replacements each year. One would think selling more than 10,000,000-20,000,000 devices a year, even a 1% warranty replacement(over 100,000-200,000 warranty replacements) rate would merit a LOT(100 x) more complaints if there was an actual problem.

But I am a cynic.

0 Likes