Verizon wastes customer data, AGAIN!!!
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

So Verizon has decided, AGAIN, to FORCE a system update for LG V20 phones over the 4G network without giving customers the RIGHT to choose to only download over WiFi.  How does this not amount to theft?  Neither my wife nor I gave you permission in January or today to download this update over 4G (or even my WiFi that I might need for other things during work hours).  How does that not meet the legal definition of theft???

"theft

n. the generic term for all crimes in which a person intentionally and fraudulently takes personal property of another without permission or consent and with the intent to convert it to the taker's use (including potential sale). "

Not only does this take, without permission, data from customers' accounts, it also KILLS the battery.  The January 2017 update was over 500MB (and we have 2 LG V20s in our house) and this one is 763MB (x2 = over 1.5GB of stolen data for a family with 2 of these if they're not SUPER careful). Calls to Verizon support basically got me the, "Just go away, we don't care." or "Suck it up, it's just $" attitude.  They did finally add 1GB back to our account in January, but when it also sucked the battery from almost full to less than 50% downloading it they can't give that back to me.

Verizon, there is NO REASON AT ALL to force this over 4G.  We, your paying customers, you know the ones who ensure you get a paycheck on a regular basis, DEMAND you give us the RIGHT to pick and choose when we download these massive updates -OR- these updates MUST BE DATA FREE.  No, this is NOT LG's problem.  Stop blaming this on LG.  These updates are coming from you, after you approve them.  It's time for customers to DEMAND changes at Verizon.

Legal Dictionary | Law.com

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon wastes customer data, AGAIN!!!
rcschnoor
Legend

I would be curious to know how you can be positive it was "forced" over the 4G network or if your device simply happened to not have an active wifi connection when the update was downloaded?

Keep in mind, the Customer Agreement you agree to by having service with Verizon states:

"My wireless device

Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. "

I know this is not likely to be what you want to hear, but this negates any claim you have that Verizon committed "theft" by updating your device's software. By having a Verizon post-paid account, you have by default agreed to Verizon's Customer Agreement. The only way to disagree is to discontinue service.

bearone21
Legend

i'm betting:

1) you didn't have downloads over wi-fi selected, "not a verizon issue".

2) aren't choosing to select the auto switch from network to wi-fi, "not a verizon issue".

network connection is 4-12mbps/sec, at best!!!

wi-fi.....depends how fast of a connection you're paying for.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TubaOrNotTuba,

Your data certainly matters to us. That's a big chunk to have used and I'd be greatly concerned to have that much less for the month. Our updates should present the option to either download now or download later. It doesn't specifically mention wi-fi but that is in part meant to let you push the update back to a time when it is convenient for you or when you have access to wi-fi if you like. What happened when the update showed up for you? Did any sort of message show or any options show?

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

@bearone21 On an LG V20, there is NO setting that limits how Android OS updates are provided.  My Play Store settings are WiFi only.  Verizon has confirmed to me multiple times that this is NOT an option on an LG phone.  I also do automatically connect to WiFi networks, but when you're driving down the road there's no WiFi.

@rcschnoor Just because Verizon puts that in the agreement does NOT make it right.  If they were so concerned about these security updates 1) they'd come out on time, not a month or more later, 2) they wouldn't modify the OS with all their junk so LG and others can push out Android updates faster rather than having to customize it for Verizon.  Anyway, it was forced over 4G because there was no WiFi at the time and the only way to stop it was to go to Airplane Mode.

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

@Verizon Wireless Customer Support In fact, on LG phones the updates do NOT give customers this right.  We get the option to install later but NOT download later.  That's the ENTIRE problem.

0 Likes