Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visual Voicemail?
dmarie7

Why do I have to turn the data on my phone on in order to use visual voicemail?  Why can't I use the voicemail over wi-fi?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Visual Voicemail?
demmo86rt
Leader
Leader

I haven't looked too much into it, but I'm sure Verizon wants to make sure you are using a phone on their plan to check your voicemail.  You can still leave WiFi on, just don't turn off your data (if you are connected to WiFi, the phone won't use your data plan.

Re: Visual Voicemail?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

dmarie7,

Thanks for reachinig out to us on the forums. Let's get you some answers. The reason Visual Voicemail won't work without the cellular data connection is because the voicemail service is completely integrated with our voice & data network. This is why you have the option to either call to listen, or play downloaded messages, depending on the phone you have. There are third party visual voicemail apps and services that you can sign up for depending on your phone, but you would only be able to retrieve those messages with an internet connection. So if you ever didn't have access to the internet, your voicemail would be unreachable. Feel free to look into those if you'd prefer.

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!