What is the purpose of *228 and when do you use it?
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

I have seen references to using *228. Just what does this do and why and when should I use it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What is the purpose of *228 and when do you use it?
Steve5127

It is used to initially program the device  opt 1,  and it can be used to update the PRL list  (cell tower addresses) on the device. 

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

I had to call VZW yesterday with anissue and she walked me through calling *228 from my cell.  She said I should do this once a week to update my phone with local towers.

0 Likes
old_man-58

Not sure about once a week, but after any upgrade you should allow VZW to re-program for both *228 Option 1 and *228 Option 2

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

I thought once a week was too often as well, just what she told me to do to insure I always had the latest list of tower updates.  Could be because I live in an area where VZW was not here until they took over Alltel and they are still switching over towers in my area.

0 Likes
Jagger-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

*228 is used to update your Preferred Roaming List (PRLs) and to activate devices.  Use *228 to update your PRL about once a month.  Once a week is overkill.

0 Likes
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you James for clarifying.  I thought once a week was too much when the VZW rep told me that yesterday.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
immobile2
Yea, once a week is overkill... I also knowticed that with the Droid, compared to every other device, you can't perform *22899 on the Droid. It brings you right into reg. Programing.
0 Likes
JungleJim

I just tried to use the *228 and it said that this feature is not available use *611.  Without going to *611 (whatever that is) why would this feature not be available?

0 Likes
gmack35
Enthusiast - Level 3

just did the *228, option #2, on my droid and it worked fine. i read on another board, about doing it monthly and especially after a software update. most say it improves the signal. mine did go from the usual 1 bar that i usually get at home to 3 bars, but it has only been an hour, so don't know long term effects.

0 Likes