What is wrong with Verizon's 4G network?
RLP1956

A month ago, my wife and I upgraded our Droid 3 phones to new Droid 4's From day one have had issues with the internet just dropping. We have good signal strength, as indicated by the 3 bars, but the internet will just drop. Any application we have running that requires internet will error out saying it was looking for a network. I added a ping application to test the network when this happens, and it will comeback with no connection. After several minutes I might get connection back, but most the times I need to reboot.

I have not bothered going to the Verizon store. The fact that this is happening to both of our new phones,  and many people with different 4G phones are complaining about very same issue, leads me to believe the only possible answer is that Verizon’s 4G network has a major bug in it.

Our sons each have Droid 3 phones and this issue is not on their phones. Until Verizon fixes there network, it would be better to stay on the older 3G phones.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What is wrong with Verizon's 4G network?
lmtesney91
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have 4G and have not had that problem. I have an HTC Rezound.

0 Likes
rocco225
Enthusiast - Level 2

If it makes you feel better I've gone through two Thunderbolts and now a Rezound. They all do exactly what you describe. Just about every handset forum has threads very similar to this one.

See https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/774931

I live in the Chicago suburbs and have been dealing with this for months. I know the reps want to help but until they fix the network this is the way it will be, although you will continue paying a premium for VZW data.

0 Likes
Not applicable

rocco225 wrote:

If it makes you feel better I've gone through two Thunderbolts and now a Rezound. They all do exactly what you describe. Just about every handset forum has threads very similar to this one.

See https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/774931

I live in the Chicago suburbs and have been dealing with this for months. I know the reps want to help but until they fix the network this is the way it will be, although you will continue paying a premium for VZW data.

I was just up that way last month since I have family that lives in Lake County. I experienced no problems with Verizon's 4G network.

0 Likes
What is wrong with Verizon's 4G network?
RLP1956

Others may have connection, but my wife and I do not. We just got the new OS installed on the phone. One nice ficture is the ablity to take screen snap shot. I have plenty of pictures showing five blue bars with on the 4G network, with the "Download requires network" error.

At this point, Verizon has lost me as a repeating customer. We have had our phone since 1994 (GTE) and this will be the last upgrade we get. I will start switching my kids phone off to a different carrier in a few months.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

RLP1956 wrote:

Others may have connection, but my wife and I do not. We just got the new OS installed on the phone. One nice ficture is the ablity to take screen snap shot. I have plenty of pictures showing five blue bars with on the 4G network, with the "Download requires network" error.

At this point, Verizon has lost me as a repeating customer. We have had our phone since 1994 (GTE) and this will be the last upgrade we get. I will start switching my kids phone off to a different carrier in a few months.

There might be a data management setting that is restricting you to download only on a WiFi network. I would check both the phone settings and the settings within the Play Store application before deciding the Verizon Wireless nework is to blame. Motorola phone are known to default to such a  restrictive environment after the ICS update. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
quagmire0

LG Lucid here.  I started experiencing problems a few months back.  I swear that it was working much better when I first bought the phone.  Since then, it has been getting worse.  I have 'outages' at home, 'outages' at work, 'outages' when I'm out and about.  Very sporadic.  It sometimes works fine, but often does not.  It's EXTREMELY frustrating that we are paying $60 a month (2 phones) for internet service that hardly works.  What makes it even more frustrating is that I've seen a few announcements where they were supposedly 'improving' 4G in the Chicagoland area, but in my experience the service has only gotten worse with these changes.  It's to the point where I'm considering calling up to cancel and demanding that they waive the ETF. 

0 Likes