What network port does Verizon's Visual Voicemail use?
Franklin19c

Verizon's Visual Voicemail never syncs on WiFi, and I have to switch to 4G.  What network port does that app use?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What network port does Verizon's Visual Voicemail use?
Snn5
Legend

Visual Voicemail requires Mobile Data, which should be on at all times to receive VVMs at any time.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Visual Voicemail requires Mobile Data, which should be on at all times to receive VVMs at any time.

0 Likes
Franklin19c

So you are saying that I always have to turn off the wireless on my phone every time I want to receive a voicemail?  That is an awful design.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yes.  If you want to receive VISUAL voicemail, mobile data needs to be on.  I do find it rather interesting that given phones nowadays keep that portion of mobile data enabled for MMS messages that it doesnt work the same for VVM.  BUT, when you turn off mobile data, you turn off the ability to get VVM, but not MMS.

0 Likes
Franklin19c

I swear that I used to be able to get a voicemail over my wireless at home without any issues, but it isn't working at all after I changed my router to a Cisco 1811W.  I configured everything myself, and that is the only thing that has changed.  Actually I just removed all of the ACLs that I have on that router and it still doesn't work, so you are right that it isn't just a port that I'm blocking

Also, I always have mobile data on.  I would gladly just stop using the app and be forced to call my voicemail, but I have not seen any way of disabling or uninstalling the app.

Sorry if I sound a little rude.  My new LG G3 has caused me a LOT of trouble (if it doesn't like the data signal it will dedicate 100% CPU to it, prevent apps like my alarm clock from working, and kill a fully charged battery in 5 hours).  I've lost side jobs worth more than the phone because my phone killed itself overnight and I missed the phone call.  Oh, and both LG and Verizon don't want to take responsibility for it...

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The LG G2 and G3 are different beasts than most phones.  I know this is a pain, and IDK if you have other issues, but this following process has been told to me to work well.

Factory reset...but a different method of steps.

Plug into charger for the entire process

Charge to 100% and back up and factory reset the G2

(DISABLE google backup and restore of apps and app data)

Install update

Factory reset one more time

Unplug from charger

Set up your phone

Leave G2 on until it dies and turns off 1 time

Leave off and recharge to 100%

This is my usual process and I have had no issues.  Most report everything returned to its former greatness.  As far as turning off visual voicemail, you do that from your account and Features/apps/Programs in My Verizon online.  Just remove the feature and basic voicemail will return.

0 Likes
Franklin19c

Interesting...  I haven't heard that one before.  I'm going to try it out later today.

Oh, what exactly does "Install Update" mean?  I already have lollipop installed if that's what it's talking about.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Im sorry, I copy and pasted it from a previous post of mine.  This is updated.

Plug into charger for the entire process

(DISABLE google backup and restore of apps and app data)

Charge to 100% and back up and factory reset the phone

Factory reset one more time

Unplug from charger

Set up your phone

Leave phone on until it dies and turns off 1 time

Leave off and recharge to 100%

0 Likes
Franklin19c

Ok, it's worse now.  I can't connect to Google Play over wireless.  I have to switch to 4G.  Everything else (besides Visual Voicemail still...) works fine over wireless.  I think I'm going to tell Verizon to give me a new phone.  This is pathetic.

0 Likes
magimatt
Enthusiast - Level 1

I may have found a solution to this issue (it worked in my case at least). As @Franklin19c said, Visual Voicemail exclusively uses mobile data to retrieve voicemails. In addition, I think an update may have broken the Visual Voicemail app's permission to use mobile data while on WiFi and a specific permission is now hidden and/or otherwise inaccessible.

Try going into Settings > Apps and clicking the three vertical dots in the upper corner. Choose the "Reset App Preferences" option. This does nuke all the app preferences for all of your apps, but it seems to be the only way to reset the voicemail app mobile app data permission.

The only other thing you might check (I have not tested this) is whether you are using an app that manages network traffic, such as AdGuard. Make sure to either disable AdGuard from managing the voicemail app completely or at least verify the app doesn't have any settings explicitly applied that would interfere.

That's all I've got. Hope this helps. 

0 Likes