When is Verizon going to stop with the "Connected to WiFi" notification?
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

This shows up dozens of times per day, has been doing it with multiple devices since Android Lollipop and above, and while they finally let us disable the "WiFi networks available" notification when not connected to WiFi, they will not stop with this useless "Connected to [whatever] WiFi [you're connected to]".

I already know I'm connected; I tapped to connect to it and submitted the password so I could get internet without using my data plan. It auto-connects whenever it can, I always assume it will as normal, and I don't need to be told this automated process is happening. Also, if a phone has power-saving features that temporarily disable WiFi, the notification comes back! This means dozens of times per day on multiple devices.

So either I have to swipe this notification away dozens of times per day per device, or just have this useless notification taking up space in the pull-down bar. There is NO setting to turn this off.

When is Verizon going to stop doing this or give us the option to disable it? They did it with the "WiFi networks available" notification when we complained (I called and chewed out a tech rep who said they were allowing us to disable it), so when are we going to get the option to also actually disable this other useless notification?!

Nevermind the "Finding location" or "Location found" notifications which are also useless and obnoxious and can't be disabled; these really do get in the way of things and non-Verizon-specific devices do not have this Verizon-altered forceful useless repetitive notifications on them with no option to disable.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: When is Verizon going to stop with the "Connected to WiFi" notification?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have? My various devices don't have that constant notification.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

Droid RAZR MAXX, Moto X 2012, HTC One M8 (also happened on the HTC One M9). Also every phone I looked at at the Verizon store.

Nexus devices don't have Verizon's special bloatware on them.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Turn off wifi notifications under the advanced WiFi settings. Turn off network notification under the same setting.

I have these turned off on a Moto X 2013 and other phones and I don't have the constant notification.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

Ann154, why would I turn off WiFi when I want to connect to WiFi automatically whenever I'm in range of a trusted WiFi I've already connected to? This is natural to Android and iOS. Manually disconnecting and re-connecting is a nuisance; plus it doesn't stop the notification; once it connects again, it shows the notification again, and as I said before, it keeps popping up this notification multiple times when I'm already connected to the same WiFi and the screen turns off (which activates optimization for WiFi, sometimes disconnecting it).

I just need an option to disable this stupid notification; I'm fine getting it once per connected router (the first time), but not any other times after that for that router. It's nice to know the first time, not any times after that.

I'm posting this to either find out how to disable this stupid thing or have people chime in and say they'd also like the same option added.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I never wrote turn off the wifi. I wrote turn off the wifi notifications under the advanced WiFi settings.

Screenshot_2016-10-21-20-47-56.png

Screenshot_2016-10-21-20-47-51.png

0 Likes
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

All WiFi notifications are already off, and there's no option to disable the "Connected to WiFi" notification in my options nor in yours (if it's yours, which one is it?). This option is available on Nexus and non-Verizon phones. If you're getting the notification or can disable it, great, but of the three Verizon phones I've used since Android Lollipop, the notification is there and can't be disabled. By the way, long-pressing the "Connected to WiFi" shows "Android System" which can't have its notifications disabled.

I'll show you screenshots of what I mean exactly, but the questions are these:

1. How do I actually turn off this notification?

2. How do we get Verizon to give us the option to turn it off?

Actual notification that pops up dozens of times per day in notification shade:

Screenshot_20161023-121414.png

WiFi Notifications settings:

Screenshot_20161023-121204.png

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't know what to tell you, because those screenshots were from a Moto X 2014 running Lollipop Android 5.1 OS and it doesn't have the constant notification on the notification shade. My Nexus 7 2013 tablet doesn't have it either. You obviously have something on that I have off.

0 Likes
dhinged
Contributor - Level 1

That's great that your Moto X 2014 doesn't do it (my Moto X 2013 did when I was using it), the LG G4 and G5 do it, the Galaxy S5, S6, and S7 do it, and the HTC M8, M9, and 10 do it (remember these are the top premium phones Verizon sells), and I could find no option on those either to disable it (nor the "Finding location" or "Location found" notifications).

Also, as I mentioned before, Nexus devices don't have this Verizon crap bloatware on it or they let the user disable it. Remember that the Nexus 7 devices never had any of Verizon's custom hardware or software on them.

The notification came from Google, the ability to disable it was removed by Verizon for whatever reason, and I want that option back, and I want Verizon to understand why and users here to throw their hat in the ring if they agree, because so far nobody's showing how to actually disable this notification on the phones I mentioned have the problem.

0 Likes
joey2007ua64
Contributor - Level 3

My Verizon Galaxy S5, S6, and Moto Z don't do it when the following selections are made in the advanced Wi-Fi menu.

S5

Screenshot_2016-10-23-16-22-54.png

Moto Z

Screenshot_20161023-162233.png

What versions of Android are on your affected phones.  Based on the phones I've looked at these options are only available on 5.1 and higher.  My S4 with 5.0 always shows the "Connected to" notification.