When will Verizon be patching our phones to prevent Krack attacks?
Smash591
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just found out today that WPA2 has a serious flaw that exposes Android smart phones to attack and pwnage in seconds. KRACK Attacks: Breaking WPA2  When can we expect Verizon to patch our phones?

Labels (1)
Re: When will Verizon be patching our phones to prevent Krack attacks?
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

What type of router do you have and how old is it ? You should be able to update the firmware on your router. At least that will help on that end but as far as our phones I hope someone on here can help us.

0 Likes
Kazzlo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, KRACK is a critical vulnerability that puts Android phone owners at major risk.

Even though announced publicly only very recently, vendors have supposedly known about this for at least a month.  Why no update yet?  Please provide an update ASAP.

bearone21
Legend

it's not their job!!!

0 Likes
Smash591
Enthusiast - Level 2

By asking Verizon for a timeline, I mean that they need to fast track any patch from the manufactures straight to the client device. Historically (and hysterically) Verizon has decided in the past to not forward known patches for handsets because... ? They want to push users into newer devices? or They've gone in a different direction? 

I am happy with my service at Verizon but the speed with which this issue is resolved will directly impact my longevity as a customer. I have no problem switching to a carrier whose devices are found to be patched and up to date rather than walk around with an attack-waiting-to-happen in my pocket. Also, don't kid yourself regarding Verizon's clout with OEMs. They are the gorilla in the room and if they point at the OEMs and say fix it or we stop selling your products... it will be patched. 

Just my opinions, of course.

Smash591
Enthusiast - Level 2

According to the author of www.krackattacks.com, the stated vulnerability is against the client device, not the "router". 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Smash591,

Security is a priority. Additionally, we can relate to how important updates and patches can be. Anytime there is a patch or update available, it can be referenced here: http://spr.ly/658687n0I

KatiM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ejhonda
Enthusiast - Level 2

It appears the link for Verizon patch notifications is Advanced Devices Software Updates | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That link is for all of the software updates for devices sold by Verizon Wireless.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Dwillian
Enthusiast - Level 3

And the client devices are our android phones. Verizon needs to get manufacturers to release patches ASAP!!!! And this must include all phones that are still being used on the Verizon network. It is not acceptable to stop providing security updates on phones after only a year or two. Without the security patches we are effectively forced to buy new phones and throw away perfectly good phones (e.g., my perfectly working Samsung Galaxy Note 4).