When will defective NG6 update be replaced?
arp
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Galaxy S4 has been unusable since the NG6 update was installed.  All apps are up to date, tried the factory reset 'fix' as directed by verizon support, problem is now worse.  Phone crashes, freezes constantly, OS runs away and burns up the battery. SD card is mostly unreachable, phone randomly shuts off.  Tried safe mode & that's unstable too. Plus the apps I use daily are not available.  Unless an update is provided within the next few days I guess the only option is to get a 3rd party firmware & OS for the phone.  I would also like to know how I am going to be compensated for the lost service since the upgrade as I am paying for service I do not get.

Labels (1)
Re: When will defective NG6 update be replaced?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

arp, you definitely deserve the service that you pay for. Have you downloaded 3rd party applications to your device? If so, some 3rd party applications may be conflicting with the recent software update. Try uninstalling a few applications in Settings>Under MORE, tap Application Manager>tap the Application, tap Uninstall. Power your device off/on and keep us posted.

0 Likes
AKT031081
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having similar issues and all you can recommend is deleting apps!?!? What good is a smart phone if you're software won't work with apps?

0 Likes
techPam
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone was restarting and freezing constantly until I tried the suggestion here: NG6 update has been hell on earth 

Hope it helps!

0 Likes
arp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Apps are not the issue.  Per verizon support I did a factory reset which deleted all apps and settings from my phone.  Still unstable, SD card no longer recognized.   Phone was unstable in safe mode also.  SD card still works fine in my droid bionic.  Went to local verizon store and was told there are no longer any tech support people in the stores.  One of the helpful sales people who said he was 'kind of technical' did a factory reset using the buttons on the phone.  End result phone was even more unstable.  I did some research on 3rd party sites and found Odin which allowed me to flash the NG5 code back onto my phone.  It is now stable and working again as before. The problem now is verizon downloaded the NG6 code again and I am constantly being prompted to install it.  If anyone can tell me how to remove that code and stop the updates from being pushed out until a working fix is provided I would be very grateful!

BTW - this is a phone I purchased outright, not happy your updates are breaking it. I've been a customer for 7+ years but this is the worse experience I have ever had.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Some on here have solved the re-booting issue of this phone by enabling all the disabled and turned off apps in the app drawer, including "knox

0 Likes
arp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried that too, turned on and updated all the bloatware like the nfl app, fitness etc.  No help.  The NG6 update is the problem.  Very frustrating. I used to tell everyone to switch to verzion because of the coverage and great customer service.  The great customer service is gone replaced by the attitude of just buy something new and go away.  Coverage may still be better but the other carriers are catching up and coming in at lower price points.

0 Likes
arp
Enthusiast - Level 2

No updates from vzw.  So I have the broken NG6 update waiting to be installed on my phone and it sounds like there might be a fixed update now available.  How do I get rid of the broken code waiting to be installed so I can get the fixed code downloaded and installed?

0 Likes
arp
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's been two months, nothing from vzw.  Outstanding.

0 Likes