Who else is having MAJOR issues with their Droid DNA post 4.4 (KitKat) update??
PatelSLTX
Enthusiast - Level 1

I usually don't complain or post much about my phone because problems are generally quickly fixed, but this update is just ridiculous. After updating to KitKat, my phone has the following problems:

1. Text Messages - I constantly get text message errors. Always get the error that my message is not able to be sent. I have two problems with this. First, I get the error that the message was not able to be sent, but the recipient tells me they get mass spammed the same message 3+ times. Second, sometimes the recipient does not receive the message and it never goes through.

2. Network connection - Since the update, my phone usually does NOT have any type of connection whatsoever. The status bar shows I have 3G or 4G, but when I go to the internet app or try to use any form of data, I get the No data connection/no network connection error. Also, many times I am unable to receive/place calls.

2. Battery Life - significantly reduced battery life. This is not too big a deal because I'm assuming the new Android version takes more battery power. I can stomach this.

Please assist me with this as soon as possible. I'd hate to have to drop Verizon for such a silly issue.

Labels (1)
Re: Who else is having MAJOR issues with their Droid DNA post 4.4 (KitKat) update??
jf2go
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will add my own experiences to this post.  I am VERY disappointed with this update.  My DNA was working perfectly before the KitKat update, and I had considered the DNA the best Smartphone I had ever owned.  Since this update I have two significant problems.  I have not experienced the texting issue you mentioned in #1 - but I probably only average 5 texts per day.

Problem 1: Similar to your #2.  My signal strength has gone down in areas where I would normally have 4-5 bars to 1-2 bars.  Sitting 3 feet from my Network Extender in my house, I show 2 bars.  I am also experiencing frequent network disconnects (no data connection) when I use an App that requires an Internet connection.  I have to push the "Retry", and often that corrects it (until next time).  I am assuming this is due to signal strength issues, but perhaps I am wrong.  I did not have these issues prior to the update.

Problem 2: Using the camera has become hit or miss.  When taking a picture with the standard camera app or a 3rd party app, often the phone will reboot.  Unfortunately, that leads to a lost picture opportunity.  This NEVER happened prior to the KitKat update.

I am also noticing reduced battery life when I am using cell service (vs. WiFi).  WiFi battery life seems about the same for me.  Again, this could be related to the reduced signal strength, but who knows.  I have tried the fixes mentioned by the Verizon Reps here, without any resolution.  I am hoping the either HTC reads these posts, or Verizon is providing HTC with information so that they can prepare a fix for these problems.  I also posted a support request over on the HTC support site, but I never got a response.  VERY frustrated with Verizon and HTC at this point by forcing an update on us that made my once rock solid DNA problematic.

Re: Who else is having MAJOR issues with their Droid DNA post 4.4 (KitKat) update??
jim_ohio
Enthusiast - Level 2

it just isn't you HTC, it is samsung too

pl124

Ditto, I'll be dumping this phone soon now - maybe that was part of the plan...

Why on earth would verizon release an update that entirely changes the experience?  If i want a phone to look and act like this I would buy it.  I put off the annoying update pop-up for so long but it I was a fool to finally give in.

1. Text messages take forever to load and send - Every Time! 
2.  Ringtones annihilated and replaced with metrosexual blips and chirps - i've missed a dozen calls and texts already

3. Horrible graphics downgrade.  The layout, font, and graphics look like something from the Soviet era.

4.HTC wallpapers annihilated and replaced with CCCP style graphics

5.  I'll be cancelling visual voicemail - even if the number is in my address book with a name associated it only displays the number - whats the point?
6.  Cant scroll through screens in a 'circle' - you go to your far left screen and want to scroll to far right? - start wagging that thumb or navigate from your home button.

7.  All setting changed after 2 years of tweaking it just how I liked it.

And yet functional updates and improvements like texts notification customization for people and groups is nonexistent, battery is less efficient not more, update appears to have taken up even more available memory

If you're a trendy hipster that just likes the newest gadgetry and look - you'll probably defend this complete overhaul.  If you actually use your phone on a constant basis and it has become a part of your everyday routine you are going to be sorely upset when push 'ok' on the 'upgrade'.

0 Likes
Skyke101
Enthusiast - Level 3

Looks like we all got screwed by Verizon. The Kit kat update seriously hampers the phones reception. I and 3 guys that I work with daily used to get great reception on our S4 phones while we were at work, which is, one more time, 40 miles west of Phoenix. Then, as soon as we got the Kit Kat update, all of a sudden we cant even send a text message! Nor can we get on the internet! It's a compatibility issue that Verizon won't admit to, they say to just turn your phone off, pull out the SIM card, put it back in and then turn it on again. It actually works, for about two texts, then it goes back to having no reception at all. Must be because some background program that conflicts with Verizon's version of Kit Kat finally boots up, creates the conflict and then boom, no reception. Another guy that sits right next to me at work just got an S5, and he gets the excellent reception that we S4 users used to get before we got the Kit Kat update. Maybe it's a Verizon scam to try and force S4 users to upgrade to the S5? And it's not just us at work 40 miles West of Phoenix. My wife also has an S4, and she works in town and she says her recepetion has gotten alot worse too once the update was applied.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I feel for you but the impact is wider than Motorola and Samsung user experiences... Prior to KK, my LG G2 got rocking great battery longevity... Post-KK, it's nowhere near as good for me, but was terrible immediately following the upgrade.

If you are really experiencing bad behavior, you need to perform a Factory Data Reset after backing up the stuff that is valuable to you. I did that and things improved in that area... still not what it was with J.B. unfortunately.

The people that roll these out design an update to go in with minimal impact, but there is simply too much user variation into how things are set up, and what is downloaded on the devices for everyone to enjoy an update without having to perform an FDR.

I wish I was back on JB honestly. KK brought a negative experience to the device for me with respect to the battery life, and also the voice dialer over BT. It's horrible, simply horrible compared to JB, but I digress..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorrry to hear you're having so many issues with your Droid DNA after your update pl124. I can understand the frustrations you're experiencing but we are here to help. Have you performed any trouble shooting steps with us regarding the issues you're having? Although I'm unable to fix any of the functionality changes caused by the update, I can help with the issues. Are you using a 3rd party messaging app? If so, its always a good idea to temporarily remove it to see if its causing an issue. We also recommend safe mode, which disables all apps and allows you the opportunity to readd them one at a time to see if that particular one is causing an issue. Here are the steps http://vz.to/1g3i9mj .

Additionally, if you're having issues with missed calls and text, we also recommend a SIM card pull to reconnect your phone back to the towers. Just like rebooting a computer down completely and back up. Where are you located (zipcode)? Are issues with calls and text occuring inside or outside our home? There may be an issue in the area. Here are the steps to safe mode http://vz.to/1hRNOb1 .

The great thing is you always have the chance to download apps from the app store to help with personalization for your ringtones, wallpapers, graphics, and minor functionalities. I know its upsetting to have so many changes after personalizing your phone but we hope the software gave you some benefits. If you continue to have problems, a hard reset is the last step that can usually correct minor issues but will also require a complete reset back to factory settings. Keep us posted and let us know if the phone gets better with some of the steps above. We want you to love your phone again and only change devices because you are ready for the latest and greatest and not because of issues.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
pl124

Nope just stock messaging.  Not getting messages because all my old ringtones are gone - they were loud and long.  The new ones - which I was not aware would completely replace the old ones - are just stupid.  I did find if I delete all my text and limit them to just a few days it works- basically eliminating the functionality of texting and being able to recall previous things discussed but who cares right?- I dont have time for this!  Explain your updates - if you dont understand your updates or your customers - then stop sending them out. Simple.  Now more problems developing - phone suddenly wont send emails.  Sends them fine from my other verizon phone.  Notes widget is GONE.  I used this constantly - no suitable replacement - oh well I have a new less functional operating system and UI.  I have all day to figure this out.

All the new GPS permissions and settings are ridiculous - sat in the car 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get it to start running google maps - finally just said screw it to all privacy and selectivity and got it working somehow. whatever.  At least I have a new less functional operating system and UI though - I have all day to relearn it all.

Switching carriers - probably shooting myself in the foot but its the principle - you guys were bagging $200/mo off me for what?  this?  Funny how when my payment is a day late you have full right and recourse to slap me up with fees and harassing texts, but when my entire week is spent fixing a real problem with a very important business tool that is now restricting my business a lame apology is completely acceptable.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand how upset you are pl124 about the changes on your device. We do our best to provide our customers with the best updates for your phone. If your phone is having issues we are unable to fix, we can always check for replacement options. Is your phone still under warranty?

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
Skyke101
Enthusiast - Level 3

Kinquana, there is nothing wrong with the phone, the problem is the KitKat update. Why are you trying to ignore the obvious?! Nobody had problems until the KitKat update, and then, bam! nothing but problems for people that live or work on the fringes of your cell phone tower coverage. We used to get great service, even though we live and work on the edges of the cell phone tower coverage. Now, for some reason, we get crappy reception and can't text unless we drive closer to the nearest cell tower.