Why can't I fully access the internet when connected over wi-fi?
chrisindfw
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently purchased a new modem to take advantage of higher speeds from my ISP. Since then, I have had issues with my phone connecting over wifi. The wifi and 4g indicator turn orange and I am unable to do some things online. I can surf the web, but if it is an email account it does not sync.

All of the advice online says to reboot the router, but this happens over and over.

Is there a setting that is blocking my phone and/or google services?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Orange wifi indicator
chrisindfw
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue has been resolved.

The ultimate fix was to add port triggering for both TCP and UDP for port 5228. This is the port that google play uses to authenticate the phone. My new modem/router had a built in firewall so since I was unable to turn it off, I had to add the port triggering.

I have a VOIP cisco phone for my home business and the provider pointed me to the ports to fix an issue with the phone and it made me think about the google play port.

Thank you everyone!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're glad you are here for help, but not too glad to see there is an issue with the WiFi.

Can we ask what phone you are using? Also, does the phone work while you are on a different WiFi network?

TamaraH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
chrisindfw
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Droid Maxx phone with a C6300 modem/router.

I am able to get on other networks and was able to previously at home. Until I got the new 6300 router. I restored the factory settings and tried again with no luck. I hard coded my DNS entries in the wifi setup to see if that would help and it seems like it did, for a bit, and then went orange again.

What does the orange indicator mean?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Do you have a computer connected to the Wi-Fi? Have you noticed it going in and out? Limited connection? Who's your ISP?

0 Likes
chrisindfw
Enthusiast - Level 2

The PC that is connected is fine. It is just mobile phones connected to the Wi-Fi.

From what I found online, the orange icon means that there is an issue with connecting to the DNS. Can anyone confirm?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Do you have a firewall up on the router/modem?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Have you checked to see if there is a new system update for you phone?

0 Likes
chrisindfw
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone is on the latest version. No updates. I am not rooted nor have made customizations to the core software.

The modem/router does have a firewall but only allows incoming http traffic on port 80. Does Google Apps use a different port?

Screenshot_2015-06-04-10-31-40.png

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You can change your DNS to Google's servers, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or use DNSet app from Play Store to do the same thing.

0 Likes
chrisindfw
Enthusiast - Level 2

No luck. I set the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in my phone and in the modem itself. My wife's phone, which is also an android (different model) is not having issues.

I will see if the ISP can refresh my internet signal, maybe something is held up there.

0 Likes