Why can't I send text messages over wifi?
mastaroni
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone the past week or so (after the verizon messaging app update), won't send text messages over WiFi at ALL. I can only get my text messages to send when I completely disable WiFi. This entire week none of my texts sent until YESTERDAY when I tried disabling my WiFi. The only reason I got this plan was because I can use WiFi at work and home without using up my data.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My phone won't send text messages over wifi, data only.
Brownian_Motion
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, installed the update dated aug 24th, (5.6.7) and it seems to have resolved the wifi issues. 

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure that your srvices work correctly. Messaging is an important feature. What type of device do you have?  When you say with wifi only, doe you mean that you are disabling cellular data? We will help get this resolved. I apologize for the trouble.
BobbyN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mastaroni
Enthusiast - Level 2

What type of device do you have?

Galaxy s6, 64gb

When you say with wifi only, doe you mean that you are disabling cellular data?

My text messaging only works when I disable WiFi and use my 4g data. Even when I have WiFi enabled but I'm not connected to a WiFi network it still won't send my messages.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mastaroni,
Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated. With the device, if you are sending picture messages the data service would need to be turned on as this is how the picture messages are transmitted. With plain text however, this would go through when connected to WiFi or data regardless. What types of messages are you trying to send if you don’t mind? Also, what messaging service are you using specifically? Looking forward to hearing back to further assist.

ChrisM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mastaroni
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm just sending plain text messages, no pictures, no multimedia, no emojis. I'm using the verizon messaging app, I just got the update a few days ago. No matter what kind of text I'm sending or to whom, as soon as I completely disable the WiFi the text will go through.

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

try uninstalling/reinstalling or switch to regular text app and back- app mgr force stop /clear data on vz messages

0 Likes
mastaroni
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I've already tried everything except uninstalling and re-installing. Do you happen to know if there is a way to save all my conversations before I uninstall it?

Brownian_Motion
Enthusiast - Level 3

And, to further screw up the works...

On my G5 that I tried last night WITH THE NEW UPDATE,

I get a pop up screen that says it can't send over wifi unless you have the sharing service enabled.  (I checked my account, I DO have it enabled..)  Then it says it will try to send when it again "sees" the network.  (Paraphrasing, here..)

Ya want to know what really P1SSED ME OFF?? 

THAT DAMN POP UP SCREEN STAYED IN FRONT OF EVERY APP THAT I OPENED UNTIL I REBOOTED THE PHONE, --AND-- IT --BLOCKED-- ACCESS TO THE KEYPAD SO I COULDN'T EVEN USE SKYPE TO MAKE A CALL, BECAUSE IT OVERLAPPED/BLOCKED THE BOTTOM OF THE KEYPAD INCLUDING THE ZERO!!!!

WHAT IF I WOULD HAVE HAD TO MAKE A 911 CALL DURING THAT TIME??

WHEN ARE YOU GUYS GOING TO BETA TEST THIS CRAP BEFORE FOISTING ON YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS FIRST?!?!?!

--  ARE YOU LISTENING VERIZON???

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

you should be able to get last 90 days back if I'm not mistaken

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mastaroni, I use my text messages for everything now days. I would be lost if I couldn't get or receive my messages in a timely fashion. I would recommend on clearing the app cache for the messagener application. Have you tried to use any other 3rd party text message application from the Google Play Store to see if those work while connected to wi-fi? Please keep us posted. 

KevinR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes