Why can't I turn off emergency alerts?
ajmenzel

I have looked up how to turn them off on the internet and it says to go to the settings in the messages and turn them off. The problem is there is nothing that says emergency alerts on the message settings. So how else can I turn them off? Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can't I turn off emergency alerts?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As noted earlier in the thread, do you have an Emergency Alerts app in your app drawer?  In other words ... Apps > Emergency Alerts

That's where it's now located on some other Galaxy devices.  If the app is there, tap it to open it, then click the Menu button (the three dots in the upper right-hand corner); that'll open to Settings.  Tap that and you should have choices such as Alert Types.  Tap that and you can uncheck Extreme Alerts, Severe Alerts, or AMBER alerts.

View solution in original post

ajmenzel

Forgot to mention that I have a Galaxy S3.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have an Emergency Alerts app in your app drawer?

0 Likes
ajmenzel

Not that I can see

Arla

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Look in the settings menu of your text messaging app.

0 Likes
ajmenzel

I found another thread: *Correct Answer *by mel2020

<https://community.verizonwireless.com/people/mel2020> on May 27, 2013

2:15 PM

1.From the home screen, select Apps (located in the lower-right).

2.From the APPS tab, select Messaging.

3.Select Menu.

4.Select Settings

5.Scroll to, and then select Emergency Alerts.

6.Select any of the following:

Enabled when a check mark is present.

Presidential alert cannot be disabled.

•Extreme threat alert

•Severe threat alert

•AMBER alert

7.Select Back (located in the lower-right).

8.Select Alert reminder then select one of the following:

•Once

•Every 2 minutes

•Every 15 minutes

•Off

This was the solution, thank you for your reply.

0 Likes
S_Stiers
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is anyone at Verizon seeing this??? THIS IS STILL TRUE!  There is NO Emergency Alerts in the Messaging App settings.  It disappeared with the 4.4.2 update.  I hate to blast them in a public forum but after searching for over an hour for somewhere to leave constructive feedback and finding nothing, this is my last resort.  I have been in computers since 1970 so I know what I'm doing and have spent hours trying to turn off these annoying and unwanted notices.  Last week we had flooding in AZ which we all new was coming but Verizon decided that they had to wake me up 3 times before 6am, starting at 3am.  It just now went off for a dust storm mid-Saturday afternoon.  How bad would that be if I had been at a wedding?  The really annoying thing is even though there is a System setting in Sounds for Emergency Tone, it is OFF and makes no difference.

Who gave Verizon the right to force us to use our devices in a manner that they choose and why do they feel they have to protect us when we don't want it???  My contract is up and if they don't fix this soon, someone else will be getting my money.

And if you can't fix it, give us the option to revert to a previous version of the OS.

Thanks!

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The emergency alerts are in the settings area of the phone now instead of in the message application.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
S_Stiers
Enthusiast - Level 2

As I said, I have spent hours looking for that.  It is NOT in my Settings.   My wife has Android 4.2.2 and it IS there under 'More Settings' I think right below NFC or S Beam.  It is not there on my S3 with Android 4.4.2

Thanks for you input, but doesn't apply to my phone.  🙂

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you disabled any applications?

I can check with a co-worker who has the S3 on Monday to see where it is on their device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes