Re: Why do I get this message: "Unfortunately VZWAVSService has stopped"
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We absolutely want to help you enjoy your S5, kdl391. You came to the right place for service and for help. Which of the suggested steps have you already taken? Did you notice the trouble when a specific application update came through to your phone?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
ronthetech
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ronthetech,

I am so sorry to hear you are receiving this error message. Lets put an end to this error. Have you already accessed the Settings and Application manager on your device and uninstalled the Google update? What type of device do you have?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

King72
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lindsey Verizon Wireless Customer Support that may stop the error from showing up, but it really isn't an option for those of us that use Google+. Can you simply just tell us what that service is, what it does, and what apps or functionality depends on it and we can decide whether or not that is the service that should be disabled. While that is not the best option either...as it doesn't address the root cause...I would much rather uninstall/disable something that I may not need and keep the one I use.

Phat1cat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello I have the same problem with my Samsung galaxy s5, they realize there is a problem but to fix it for now you have to go into app. manager and go to google + and uninstall updates and then you have to go to app store and tell it not to update apps because once it updates again the message will come back.It works on my s5.

0 Likes
saracen1955
Enthusiast - Level 2

The AVSService is the Address Verification System Service.  It is used primarily by banks to verify over the phone credit card purchases.  If the service is not working, then the bank cannot verify your address and may very well suspend or deny the charge until they are able to verify your address.  The AVSService is also used by Enhanced 911 to verify the address of incoming emergency calls.  When Verizon upgraded Android Kit Kat a few days ago to version 4.4.2.1 or something, it screwed up the AVSService.  The problem appears to be tied to Google+. I e-mailed Verizon about this, four days ago, but they have completely ignored me.

saracen1955
Enthusiast - Level 2

I should add that Verizon has been aware of the problem for days now.  A couple of days ago, the news media got hold of the fact that Verizon Wireless customers were unable to contact 911 on their Android phones.  Verizon promptly issued a statement that they were aware of the problem and had "fixed it".  Fixing it simply means that they told people, what most people now know, to uninstall the Google + update, and turn off automatic updates.  That is not fixing the problem, that is slapping a Band Aid on it, and trying to look good to the public, when in fact it was Verizon that broke the system in the first place.

wjd224
Enthusiast - Level 2

LindseyT_VZW, what you are suggesting that we do to remedy the problem is completely unacceptable. You can do all the finger pointing that you want and blame the problem on Google, but I can tell you that there sure as hell is no chance that Google is going to release a new update because the previous one interfered with one of Verizon's services. It would be ridiculous to even expect them to! THIS IS A VERIZON PROBLEM. Don't tell us to roll back our Google plus update to solve the problem, you need to figure out how we can solve the problem with this VERIZON SERVICE without having to sacrifice keeping up-to-date with our other application. AGAIN, YOUR background service is causing the problem. Google plus is not the source of the problem. You need to update the service so that it stops interfering with other application updates or you need to get rid of it. EITHER WAY, lets not be coy here, we know that this is a VERIZON PROBLEM. ANYONE who is reading this, don't roll back your Google plus updates or disable google updates. It is ridiculous for Verizon to request that you do so. REMEMBER: YOU ARE PAYING VERIZON FOR A SERVICE, and, in turn, they are expected to hold up their end and perform that service properly. This malfunctioning background service is something that Verizon is forcing you to have on your phone and they are prioritizing it over your other applications when in fact it is the source of your problems. Verizon won't tell us what the service is so it must not be that important. What I would do is just go ahead and force stop and turn off the VZWAVSServices in your application manager.

tbo27
Master - Level 2

Are you kidding me? Let me get this straight so once you get the error your phones don't function for texts calls data pretty much bricked huh? Not. What's the big deal? I've seen these things come and go. It's a security feature be thankful.  Yes I know vzw is a black hole in which nothing escapes especially your funds.

0 Likes
saracen1955
Enthusiast - Level 2

Like it or not, this is not a Verizon problem.  The problem was caused by the Android update of the Kit Kat OS.  Any phone using Kit Kat with the latest upgrade is having the same problem, regardless of the provider.

0 Likes