Re: Why does Verizon lock devices?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

dsdriskill wrote:

OK.  So Android is an _Open Source_ initiative.  It has grown in popularity due largely to its AOSP community.  For proof of that, look here:

http://www.infoworld.com/sites/infoworld.com/files/media/image/Cumulative-Open-Source-Mobile-Project...

Open source has absolutely nothing to do with unlockable bootloaders.  Open source merely means that the source code is available for all, and you can build Android if you like.  The OEMs provide kernel source code to stay within compliance of the AOSP.  But this, by no means says that phones (which contain a fair amount of licensed code, Sense, CDMA radios, LTE radios) have to be unlockable.  Most OEMs allow this because they know that they can benefit from the development community (just look at how much stuff AOSP, Sense, TouchWiz, etc. kanged from CM).  But it still has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a device is unlockable

Verizon, more than any other carrier, hinders the open source culture with its restrictive approach to consumer devices.  If it were a customer support issue, as some claim, then I would expect Verizon's approach to make them number 1 in support.  But the data suggests otherwise.  Look here for verification:

http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim2/2013/08/01/jdpower-wireless-cust-sat.jpg

You could also check Consumer Reports which gave them #1 in customer support, >Comment deleted<

As a developer, if I am willing to void my warranty, forego support services, and run the risk of being cut off if I try to mess with the carrier's communications link, I should be allowed to do anything I want with my phone.

Verizon knows that bricks get warrantied out as well.  I'm sure they don't have the man power to check every phone for custom firmware, so it's cheaper to them to lock down the phone than it is to hand out free devices to customers who messed theirs up.

At the moment, I want to connect the phone via Bluetooth to a set of glasses using my own protocol.  I need stock Android to do that and know that I am not solving problems that are specific to a particular manufacturer's interface-du-jour. Therefore, I want to wipe the phone and load stock Android.

I get this feeling that the UI has nothing to do with the Bluetooth but more so the specifics of the device itself.  But, regardless, that is why Google started the Nexus program, to provide a reference device for developers.  I'm sure they knew of the roadblocks one might run into developing on a non-stock device, and they saw just how few devices were sold running vanilla, so they provided a workaround. 

Alas, Verizon won't allow it.  There is absolutely no reason I have heard so far that convinces me that their decision is sound.

You're right, Verizon won't allow it, but I don't think they really care whether or not you are ok with that decision.  You also have to remember that those, like you and me, who want unlocked devices are actually few and far between on Verizon's network. >Comment deleted<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator><

scarshapedstar
Contributor - Level 1

>>Post removed; discussion of rooting/hacking devices is prohibited on this forum.  Please review the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
dj
Enthusiast - Level 3

>>Post removed for discussion of moderation.  Please send a Direct Message to moderator or admin_moderator   if you have concerns about moderation.<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
dsdriskill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Gotta reply, then I'll drop it.

Open Source is a culture.  A movement.  A way of getting great things done.

It assumes a spirit of openness, cooperation and engagement that no other development culture has duplicated.  So, restrictive practices from Verizon have _everything_ to do with open source.  Verizon's policies are counter to the very culture from which they are gaining benefit.  To miss this point is to miss far more than a debate about locking/unlocking devices.

Support quality reference:  Yours is from 2012, and is for overall operations.  Mine is from last month, and is focused on support.

You are correct about Google starting the Nexus program - which is the program I used until now.  Why?  BECAUSE THE LATEST NEXUS DEVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE ON THE VERIZON NETWORK.  Wonder why?

Therefore, your citation of a workaround for locked bootloaders is not relevant to the current situation.

So, I'll present my conclusion again:  There is absolutely no reason I have heard so far that convinces me that their decision is sound.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

But that's the thing, it's their decision.  In the business world, if you don't like the decision a business makes, you take your money elsewhere.  Regardless of culture, open source is allowing you to do what you want with the source code.  If Verizon wants to lock their phones down, they have the right to do it.  You can't say open source gives the freedom of choice, then say that Verizon HAS to do it your way.

0 Likes
dsdriskill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hence my original question: Why?

Of course they are a company that is in business to make a profit.  Of course I can go elsewhere.  Or, I can post questions in an attempt to sway their policy.

Anyway, time to move on...

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dsdriskill,

If you've got a question, you can bet your bottom dollar we've got an answer. As you know, we do not unlock devices. While we understand that it may not be beneficial to an app developer, we have this in place to protect customers from defects and threats that can harm your device.

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

ryanbg
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know you are just a customer service rep, so please pass this comment up, but it's almost like you didn't even read the comments. We don't WANT to be protected from defects and threats, we want to do whatever we want with the device. It's ours, not Verizon's. So let me do what I want with it. Open source is pointless if you can't do anything with it. More people should just leave Verizon and give your money to someone who wants to earn it.

Verizonsczdiyak

This is why i left verizon and will never give them my money. Someone said they can lock their phones if they want. That makes sense if you don't pay a dime for your phone. Otherwise its your property right? this is a frustrating situation but if you really wanna know how bad it is look into their mandatory arbitration clause in the contract you sign. You have given up your 7th amendment right effectively decimating the rule of common law that has been a cornerstone of our justice system since its inception.

0 Likes
dreamwave
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is semi-understandable in nature, however to the extent that Verizon on a whole does it it is wholly unacceptable...especially when it crosses boundaries known as laws. If Verizon doesn't care about its customers, it can do whatever the **** it wants...but my question of Verizon is what is the response to Block C? Remember the purchase where google held the FCC up to open use with about 4.6bil? How does a locked bootloader fit with that? If you can justify that then fine, but it not then it's definitely not fine. :feeling ****ed:

0 Likes