Why does my first gen Moto G not connect to my WiFi?
muse2005
Enthusiast - Level 2

Android version 4.4.4.  Came that way out of the box (bought it last week).  What it does when I try to connect to my wifi is the following:

Status is "Obtaining IP address"

Signal is "Excellent"

Then..

Status is "Connecting"

Signal is still "Excellent"

And that's how it stays.  Occasionally it will flash (like about 1-2 seconds) that it connected, but then goes back to "Obtaining IP address" again. 

Very rarely it will say "avoided weak connection" even though I disabled that.  I also disabled the optimization settings.

My 2 other devices - laptop and Nook - can connect so I know it's not my router.

I even moved the phone right next to the router, in case that would help.  It didn't.

I haven't tried to connect it to any other wifi because, so far, I haven't been in an area that has public wifi (like McDonald's).

Really don't know what to do.  I only have 500 mb data per month and I don't want to use it all up.  Heck, before I found out how to turn it off, it was downloading my gmail every time I connected to the 3G network, so I am aware of my data usage and do not want to go over.

Hope someone can help me.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why does my first gen Moto G not connect to my WiFi?
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Power down your Modem, Router for 3 min. also shut down phone Wi-fi and power off phone ,then power on only the modem and wait 5 min. ,next power on router wait 1 min. ,then power on your phone and reset your Wi-fi connection settings.

View solution in original post

Re: Why does my first gen Moto G not connect to my WiFi?
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Power down your Modem, Router for 3 min. also shut down phone Wi-fi and power off phone ,then power on only the modem and wait 5 min. ,next power on router wait 1 min. ,then power on your phone and reset your Wi-fi connection settings.