Why does my "8GB" phone hold only 3GB?
mattging24
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I got my phone (a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime running Android 5.1.1) it was sold to me as an 8GB phone. I installed 2 GB of apps and now the phone is full. When I check storage on the phone, it claims to be an 8GB phone, but 4.5 GB are taken up by "miscellaneous files" that cannot be deleted. Even weirder, when I plug the phone into my computer, the computer claims it only holds 3.62 GB. I have already moved every file on the phone that can be transferred to the SD card. Attached is what I see when I plug it into my computer. Was I misled when I bought the phone, or is this a software problem?

mem.png

Notice that the phone stores only 3.62 GB.

All files that could be moved to the card have

been transferred there.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why does my "8GB" phone hold only 3GB?
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

When they say that a phone has 8GB most of the time it does not. I have a phone that is supposed to be 32.GB but it really only has 28.GB. I don't know if you ever cleared the cache partition on your phone but that will clear up even more room This is how to do it

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Samsung GALAXY Core Prime logo screen displays, release only the Power key
  4. When the Android logo displays, release the Volume Up and the Home key ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  5. Press the Volume down key several times key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
  6. Press Power button to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight 'yes'.
  8. Press Power button to select.
  9. When the wipe cache partition is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
  10. Press the Power key to restart the device.

This is Verizon support page for your phone

Samsung Galaxy Core Prime Support | Verizon Wireless

this one is to clear cache for the apps

Clear App Cache - Samsung Galaxy Core Prime | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

The phone's operating system takes up a chunk of your memory. You can open up your settings and under storage you can see how much of it is taken up by the Android OS.

For example, the system files on my Pixel running Android 8.0.0 takes up 7.6 GB. This is a big reason to stay away from phones with low on board memory.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Low end phone specifications and to quote the Genie from Aladdin (1992), "Itty bitty living space!"

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

mama23dogs
Legend

Ann154​  bwahaha!

Any Device you purchase, computer, tablet, smartphone, will provide the total storage.  But the operating system will always take up a portion.    my first smartphone used 3 of 16 gigs.  Current OS take up 5 to 6 gigs before you even get to add your stuff. 

This doesn’t mean you have to spend $700 for more gigs.  The Moto G4 and G5 series are 32 or 64 gigs.  The Nokia 6 is 32 gigs.  These phones are all $300 or less.