Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Why is my phone using data when on wifi?
mwbulechek

We have a S5 and an S6 both use data on while we are on wireless. It is getting worse. I had to up my data plan even! The S5 had used 3 times the data as my S6. This is a total scam. I love your service and the network but this is silly! HELP fix this! Already used 1.2 Gig on the S5 for this month! 5 days into my plan.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Phone using data when on wifi
tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

bearone21 wrote:

do you have smar switch for wi-fi selected??

if not, a wi-fi signal that's weaker than the network will draw from the network.

I should have included checking Smart Switch when giving the earlier suggestion, but I forgot; thanks for mentioning it.  But don't you mean "if so" rather than "if not"?  If smart network switch is on, the phone will be connected to a mobile network automatically when the wi-fi connection is unstable.

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Settings > Wi-Fi > More > Advanced, do you have Keep Wi-Fi on During Sleep set to Always?

If you're on wi-fi for extended periods, have you considered turning data off?

0 Likes
bearone21
Leader

if not, a wi-fi signal that's weaker than the network will draw from the network.

12g in 5 days....post a shot of battery usage    settings/battery.

0 Likes
mwbulechek

I have been thru all of the settings and checked everything everyone told us to try. Wifi is set to always on.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

bearone21 wrote:

I should have included checking Smart Switch when giving the earlier suggestion, but I forgot; thanks for mentioning it.  But don't you mean "if so" rather than "if not"?  If smart network switch is on, the phone will be connected to a mobile network automatically when the wi-fi connection is unstable.

mwbulechek

I may try that, It does it all hours of the day. I am on a very strong wifi and a slightly weak 4G signal at home. It uses data there too. I will try shutting the data off when we are at home.

0 Likes
bearone21
Leader

correct, thanks

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Mwbulecheck, keeping your data in line is something that we all work towards. I see that you have had some great suggestions from forum members. Have you seen any improvement? Please let us know if you are still experiencing these issues.

LorenB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes