Why was the V30 modified to remove LG Smart Settings?
stef7
Master - Level 2

Why would they modify the capabilities of the device? I don't think they have a competing application.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why was the V30 modified to remove LG Smart Settings?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Verizon decides which features and menu items are available on their carrier branded devices.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

What compelled you to state the obvious? Just curious.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Because it is the appropriate response to your question.

If you knew the answer, why did you ask the question?

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is also possible that LG was charging extra for that feature. Samsung is quite known for charging extra for exclusive features. If the cost of the extra makes the phone model more expensive than what Verizon Wireless had agreed to, I could see why they would drop the extras. Would you want to purchase a new phone for $100+ more at Verizon Wireless for all the features when you could switch to AT&T or another carrier for the same features and pay less for the phone?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I do not believe that LG was asking more for the device because of Smart Settings or other features that were "deleted" by the carrier. My question was more of a rhetorical one - something to stimulate thought and discussion. They did the same on predecessor LG devices. Luckily for the V30, they left much of it alone. So I see your point.

What I continue to find interesting... the V30 is placed so low on their Shop Smartphones list as to be practically buried among and after a large number of non-flagship devices. While it's hard to rationalize the placement of the device in the various organizations they have used since it's launch, it was rolled out with little fanfare, and in many ways it either meets or surpasses the other flagship devices by Apple and Samsung.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Their poor track record for software updates hasn't created a positive reputation in my eyes to consider them.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Well, you might consider this: VZW received an Android Wear update for one of LG's SmartWatches (W200V) months ago, and has not provided it to it's customer's yet. AT&T received the update at the same time for the W200A, and their customer's have been enjoying the update to the same device for some time.

This is evidence of LG providing an update where VZW has not in turn provided the OTA...

Also worth consideration are the number of updates Samsung has provided to the various models of the Galaxy series. There are a substantial number of Galaxy models. Maybe.the VZW team responsible for approving and making OTAs available spend unequal time and effort supporting that manufacturer over others.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

stef7 wrote:

I do not believe that LG was asking more for the device because of Smart Settings or other features that were "deleted" by the carrier. My question was more of a rhetorical one - something to stimulate thought and discussion. They did the same on predecessor LG devices. Luckily for the V30, they left much of it alone. So I see your point.

What I continue to find interesting... the V30 is placed so low on their Shop Smartphones list as to be practically buried among and after a large number of non-flagship devices. While it's hard to rationalize the placement of the device in the various organizations they have used since it's launch, it was rolled out with little fanfare, and in many ways it either meets or surpasses the other flagship devices by Apple and Samsung.

When you ask a question on this forum, you are going to get a response. It can't be rhetorical if you want a response.

I have already stated that carriers, VZW especially, decide what features and setting appear on the carrier branded devices. We have had many discussions about this very topic on this forum. There was one that begged the question of why there was no FM radio on a particular phone when other carriers were including it. The answer was the same. Verizon always takes out setting on the devices. This setting you are looking for automates some functions of the phone, does it not? To do these things you need to keep location service on constantly. That is a battery drain. I have a bit of experience working with users in this field. I know that they would come in and complain that the battery drains more quickly than they expect it and would be mad about having to stop using those features if they want to preserve battery life. Unlike other carriers, Verizon provides some tech assistance in store, they're really trying to prevent these interactions in the stores so that reps can focus on what they're supposed to do which is sell.

You think that this phone is so great. That is good. Look at your friend, family and coworkers. How many of them are carrying this phone? It is probably only you. The rest are either using an iPhone or a Samsung device. These are the phones people want. If they don't want these expensive devices, they want the cheaper alternatives. This is why you don't find the V30 at the top of the list on the website. Nobody goes out to buy a new phone and has n idea of what they want being totally open to suggestions. They either know which device they want or they know how much they are willing to spend. The V30 is $840. Not exactly cheap. If people aren't willing to pay for the Samsung S8+ at that price, they're not going to go for the V30.

Also, LG is TERRIBLE with updates. I had the G2, G3 and V10. I got the V10 on October 31, 2015. The day after it was released. It came with Lollipop. Marshmallow was already available when I purchased the device. I got the 6.0 update in April of 2016 but by then 6.0.1 was available. I gave up on that phone in March of 2017. It is now 2 years old and STILL has not gotten an update after 6.0 and 8.0 is available. Go to Twitter and search for #LGV10 and read some of the things people post about this. LG always responds that 'we cannot say when/if the V10 will get 7.0'. So why anyone would by an $840 device from a manufacturer who does not develop updates. It is the sole reason why I switched back to Apple. So that I can get updates when they are available. This is not Verizon's fault that the phones don't have the updates. When the manufacturer makes it and sends it to Verizon and they hold it from devices, sure, you can blame them. You can't, however, blame Verizon if LG hasn't made the update at all.

Personally, I will never buy an LG smartphone again. I would never use one as my daily driver unless I got the phone for free AND I was getting a stipend to use it. I miss the camera on my V10 but that is about it.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

To add:

Verizon has partnered with Google to offer the Pixel exclusively so, of course other Android devices will be featured lower on the list because they have to sell the Pixel.

0 Likes