Wi-FI Calling, what is the use if it does not work?
BJones73
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a horrible connection at my home.  I get one bar maybe two.  I received the update for my S6 and turned on the Wi-Fi calling.  What use is it if I cannot use it?  I have one bar and my reception of my calls are horrible.  I can't hear them and they can't hear me.  I have great internet, City of Longmont Fiber with 1 G up and down.  I want to be able to use Wi-Fi calling for my calls.  But I am stuck using the one bar Verizon signal?  Open it up for use all the time please.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wi-FI Calling, what is the use if it does not work?
william10570
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can turn on Airplane Mode which will disconnect the cell network and WiFi, then turn only the WiFi back on and if you have WiFi calling preferred on the advanced calling section your calls will go through the router.  I tried it and the WiFi  calling is terrific.  I had T Mobile's WiFi calling for years and this is far, far better quality.

View solution in original post

william10570
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can turn on Airplane Mode which will disconnect the cell network and WiFi, then turn only the WiFi back on and if you have WiFi calling preferred on the advanced calling section your calls will go through the router.  I tried it and the WiFi  calling is terrific.  I had T Mobile's WiFi calling for years and this is far, far better quality.

lchinitz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been doing the same thing (putting the phone in airplane mode and then turning on Wi-Fi), and I have found the same thing -- that the Wi-Fi calling call quality is excellent.

However, has anyone noticed this issue?  It just started at the end of the day yesterday, and has continued into today.  Now when I try to use Wi-Fi calling I get a message that says "Out of service area", and the call is not established.  So initially Wi-Fi calling was working fine, and then (with no change on my side) it simply stopped and started returning that message.

Anyone else seeing this?

BJones73
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the work around.  Switching to airplane mode then turning on wi-fi works great.  It is so nice to be able to have a conversation at my home.  Thanks again.

0 Likes
Ritas0434
Enthusiast - Level 3

My cell phone will not make a cell call when Air Plane Mode is ON,
even with Wi-Fi enabled and properly connected to a Wi-Fi router
Droid Turbo 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That information is very helpful and updating the software is always a crucial step that needs to be performed.  The first thing you will need to do is reset your router.  You may have to speak with your internet provider about the steps on how to reset the router.  If it is anything like mine that just means unplug it for two minutes and then plug it back in.  Your internet provider will know all of those details.  After the router is reset you are going to need to reset your network settings.  You can find the steps to do this here: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-118294/  The next step after resetting your network settings will be to reset your phone app/dialer.  You can find those steps here: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-117857/  You will follow the steps under the section "Reset Individual App."  In the list, you should be looking for the phone.  It is the app that you use to call,.  Once you do these two steps you will then need to turn your phone off and on.  Once these are completed your WiFi calling will be working.  Can you please keep us posted?

SantoC_VZW

0 Likes