Will Verison ever support Google Nexus CDMA/LTE Phones?
ChiefOdie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I still have a little over year left in my contract, but I'm already looking for my next phone.  With all the problems I've had getting my phone updated to ICS/Jellybean, I've decided that my next phone WILL be a Google Nexus phone.  My only question remains if I will be able to remain loyal to Verizon or if I will be forced to jump-ship to another carrier due to Verizon's decision not to work with Google on allowing them to update the phone without Verizon intervention.

Thank you

Ken

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Will Verison ever support Google Nexus CDMA/LTE Phones?
Not applicable

I guess you'll be going to another carrier. Threatening to leave on a messageboard is not going to make Verizon do whatever it is you want them to do.

ChiefOdie
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, but I'm hoping that it is public enough to encourage them to "Play Nicely" with Google (Google did help them get the spectrum for LTE...)

Thanks

Genorok
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah, I have to agree that I don't understand Verizon's Business Plan as far as new phones goes at all. I also can't figure out why Google has to go through Carriers to update their phones but Apple gets a pass, and I'm hoping google finds a fix to that soon enough because Carrier interference on updates is annoying, but they all do that.

I've concluded that if you want the best coverage and speed, well Verizon is on top of that. I'll never knock them for their network. Now if you want an average phone, S3, or Iphone than Verizon is a fine fit, but if you want the latest and greatest from other phone manufacturers, then Verizon is extremely lacking in choices. I personally feel that Motorola only sells junk phones, since I've had 2 family members have them start failing before 2 years is up and 5 friends as well.

The S3 has some signal strength problems according to my boss at work that has his plus Samsung is terrible at updating flagship's in my opinion because they are always focusing on their newest phone. Iphones don't appeal to me. And when Verizon finally gets their hands on what should be a good phone, it's sold with no SD card slot and a smaller battery. I've been searching for a CDMA compatible overseas phone that may be able to be locked on Verizon's network because of my disappointment in phone choices.

So basically if you want great phone service, stick with Verizon. If you want a great Smartphone or some choices in smartphones, then AT&T is the place. It's sad really.

0 Likes
CHRIS42060
Enthusiast - Level 3

Honestly after Verizon has slowed down the Galaxy Nexus update process dramatically I doubt they will ever see another Nexus phone.  Verizon's network is also not friendly to the "openness" of the Nexus devices.  Unlike GSM is CDMA and LTE are not open technologies.  This slows down the update process already, and Verizon's (intentionally?) slow update process for some devices (like the Galaxy Nexus) just adds to this.  Sprint may end up getting the Nexus 4, but that usually 4 - 6 months after other versions.  Looks like T-Mobile is the carrier to go to since they are continuing to build their HSPA+ network (This could change since they bought Metro PCS and carriers seem to being trying to push to VoLTE).  It could shake things up a bit though if Google and Dish Network get their wireless network off the ground like rumors suggest.  That would be my next service provider in a heartbeat ETFs or not. 

0 Likes
ChiefOdie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, from what I can tell, the issue is the way Verizon signs the Binaries (clarification from Verizon would be nice here, hint, hint)

Thanks

Ken

0 Likes
ChiefOdie
Enthusiast - Level 2

The nice thing is that this issue has at least been partially fixed:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6081/android-41-hits-aosp-verizon-galaxy-nexus-regains-aosp-support

While I believe that it's too early to make anything of the fact that Google is talking with Dish about Spectrum, I have a feeling the result would be similar to their Kansas City implementation of Fiber (An example of how it "Should" work, and not really expanding beyond that.)   Having said that, it sure would be an interesting exercise (and fun to watch companies like Verizon and AT&T scramble to keep market share.)

Verizon: (Bump)
I feel my question was legitimate and I'm still waiting on an official answer.

Thank you

Ken

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Getting an official statement on this peer to peer customer forum is iffy at best.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ChiefOdie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know, but I can always hope

Thanks

Ken

0 Likes