Re: Will Verizon ever get Samsung Galaxy s6 active
nealf_2000
Enthusiast - Level 3

You presented nothing but your opinions about sales of the S5 Active.  No numbers, no sources, nothing to back up your opinions.  Fine, but you have no basis to predict sales of the S6 Active.  And you certainly have no basis to declare that I am wrong, except your opinion. I predict the S6 Active will be successful for ATT- meaning they will attract new and/or renewed contracts and make money on the phones.  If it weren't for Verizon coverage I would be a new AT&T customer.

You can't really predict sales of the S6 Active from the S5 Active for two reasons. First, the S6 Active has a substantially larger battery than the S6 while there was no real difference between the S5 and S5 Active battery.  Second,  both the S5 and S5 Active had waterproof features.  But the S6 lacks the waterproof rating of the S6 Active.  There is a bigger contrast between the two S6 generation models than existed in the S5 generation.

We'll see who's right.  But right now it's your opinion against mine.  You have no more data backing your opinion than I have backing mine.

Just conjecture against conjecture

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Care to wager now then?  I bet it will be less than 10% of total sales of the S6 like the previous versions were.  Make sure it's not the ones total shipped which Samsung likes to use which hides the total numbers actually sold until a later date.

Also the Samsung devices are NOT waterproof... They are water resistant... There's a HUGE difference, and the reason why there is a lot of complaints of Samsung NOT repairing their devices for water damage.

nealf_2000
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why would I care?  I never said the S6 Active would be a top seller, but it a viable money make-unlike the garbage rugged phones Verizon has offered in the past.  Unfortunately, Verizon past marketing strategy has been to offer underspec'd and over priced rugged phones and then conclude there is no market when the phones fail to sell.

I'll wager that the S6 Active will sell at least 20% of S6 sales for carriers that offer both phones.  In other words rugged phones have a viable market when consumers are offered a descent option but not everyone wants a rugged phone.

Also, you are right about the water resistant terminology.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

nealf_2000 wrote:

I'll wager that the S6 Active will sell at least 20% of S6 sales for carriers that offer both phones.  In other words rugged phones have a viable market when consumers are offered a descent option but not everyone wants a rugged phone.

Also, you are right about the water resistant terminology.

The S4, and S5 actives were nowhere near 10% world wide while shipping 20% of their stock as teh S4 and S5 actives respectively.  The S6 will be no different.  They'll be lucky to see 10% in the US alone.  15% worldwide.

The S4 and S5 sales DO matter.  When it comes to rugged phones if they are so well needed then their sales number would have been larger than what they are.  Like you said you wouldn't buy a Casio, but people NEED devices right?  Why grab the Casio when the S4 and S5 respectively were leaps and bounds better and arguable best bangs for your buck?  So people are going to wait without said "rugged" devices to wait for something like the S6 when what they have should be under powered with no support? A few might, but the vast majority wouldn't.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

remember don't get caught up with initial numbers from Samsung.  It's always SHIPPED, and not actually sold.  That's how the market the hype using word play.

0 Likes
nealf_2000
Enthusiast - Level 3

You miss the point.

If consumers have the option of choosing a rugged phone, without make a significant sacrifice in performance, will enough do so to create a viable market and attract customers.  ATT has offered the Active phones through three generations, so apparently the answer is yes.  Verizon has never offered a rugged phone that comes even close to pariaty with their flagship models.  So, Verizon has no idea about potential demand for rugged phones among it's customers.

You keep mentioning less than 10% of Samsung S4 and S5 sales are Active models.  What is the source of that number?  The only, admittedly rough, estimate of relative sales that I can find is the number of S5 reviews on the ATT wireless site.  There are 1100 S5 reviews and 240 S5 Active reviews.  That represents more than 20%.  The S6 Active has been out long enough relatuve to the S6.  Admittedly a biased sample, but if you have better ATT numbers let's see them.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Will Verizon ever get Samsung Galaxy s6 active
Tidbits
Legend

nealf_2000 wrote:

You miss the point.

I did not miss the point.

If consumers have the option of choosing a rugged phone, without make a significant sacrifice in performance, will enough do so to create a viable market and attract customers.  ATT has offered the Active phones through three generations, so apparently the answer is yes.  Verizon has never offered a rugged phone that comes even close to pariaty with their flagship models.  So, Verizon has no idea about potential demand for rugged phones among it's customers.

Show me the numbers.  If rugged phones regardless of specs would have sold well if they are that important.  AT&T numbers has shown against it.  If they sold that well 10-30% like you keep spewing then Verizon would have picked a few up much like the iPhone, much like the Note 2, LG G series, much like the various windows phones, or even blackberries.  How many of the newer devices does Verizon carry?  Some of them were flagships for their respective brands.  Are Verizon carrying the new stuff even though a handful of people come on these forums saying they want them? So if the numbers were there Verizon would get them.

You keep mentioning less than 10% of Samsung S4 and S5 sales are Active models.  What is the source of that number?  The only, admittedly rough, estimate of relative sales that I can find is the number of S5 reviews on the ATT wireless site.  There are 1100 S5 reviews and 240 S5 Active reviews.  That represents more than 20%.  The S6 Active has been out long enough relatuve to the S6.  Admittedly a biased sample, but if you have better ATT numbers let's see them.

Your math is terrible...  Think about those numbers again.  1100 + 240 reviews represents 20% of AT&T customers...  That would mean AT&T sold how many S4 and S5 devices? Surely AT&T sold more than 6700 S4 and S5s.  That's more than a biased sample.  Samsung sold at least 15M units of S4 and S5 respectively in the first few months of sales worldwide, and the Actives sold nowhere near 20% based on those numbers you gave.  Maybe I am getting you wrong and that's 20% of users that purchased them? 

It boils down to Verizon and how much they have to order in order to carry it.  Let's assume Samsung won't sell it for no more than 10M units at a time.  If Verizon doesn't think they can sell enough to break even do you think they'll carry it?  Business sense I wouldn't carry it especially when these devices have a short shelf life(1 year in sales because of the latest and greatest devices coming out).

Anyway best of luck on your endeavors.

0 Likes
nealf_2000
Enthusiast - Level 3

1). What counts as ™ that important" exactly what is the criteria that makes a model viable.  Is it 1%,, 5%, 10% of total units sold?  The answer is there is no set threshold.  It is a matter of whether the carrier can turn a profit.  The fact that ATT has continued to carry the Active through three generations means they are probably making a profit.

2) Because the Active is exclusive to AT&T and AT&T is only about 1/3 of the US cellular market, the sales numbers for the Active don't reflect the true demand for a ruggedized phone.  It would be not be unreasonable to assume the AT&T customer base is  representive of the larger market and total units sold could be two or three times current sales if everyone who wanted an Active could purchase one without changing carrier.

3). You don't know actual units sold for the S5 Active.  Your estimates are speculation.

4). The sales figures for the S5 Active probably don't reflect demand for the S6 Active.  Some customers will choose the S6 Active over the regular S6 simply because the battery is 50% larger.  Others that would have picked the regular version. (S5) in the past will no longer do so because it is not water resistant (S6).

Again, conjecture versus conjecture.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Just because AT&T carried it for 3 versions doesn't mean they make a profit. You said exclusively just now right? If it is exclusive how is any othee carrier able to get it? Who is to say part of the agreement AT&T must carrie the version longer than 3 years? Verizon for examplr had an exclusive deal with Motorola which spanned from tge Droid X to the Droid Turbo and it was cheaper keeping the contract over buying out the contract. You ask for numbers but the numbers you give are predictions and numbers pulled out of the air. We'll find out when Samsung releases the quartly and I am willing to be it will not do much better than the S5 Active.

Like I said more than 6700 were sold and if that's all that is sold that's less than 20% out of the total sold.

Tidbits
Legend

Show me your numbers. Like I said before he numbers are out there if you search for it, but if you searched your information you'll find mine and your numbers are in fact wrong.

0 Likes