Re: Will Verizon release a patch for the recently announced vulnerability of Android phones to hacking via text?
jrdepriest
Enthusiast - Level 1

As others have said, what they told you is incorrect. Disabling notifications will not disable the background processing that actually allows the exploit.

You need to disable auto-retrieval of MMS messages so that you have to manually click that Download button.

You are still vulnerable, but only if you manually download the message. No more magic hacks without you even knowing you received the message that hacked you.

I hope they stop giving out that advice as it provides a false sense of security.

Re: Will Verizon release a patch for the recently announced vulnerability of Android phones to hacking via text?
Tidbits
Legend

If you disable notification you still get background processing WHEN you open the message. By having auto-retrieve off it allows user error when getting rid of messages you don't know where they are from.

0 Likes
authentic1
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do you turn off auto-retrieve?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Go into your app go into that settings and look for auto retrieve turn it off or turn off MMS completely(extreme option). Depending what phone you have and what app you use I may be able to give better instructions.

0 Likes
derrydavis
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think it's a different issue. This came out on Monday and has to do with an exploit of sending a video sms and taking control of the Android phone.

Check out the links in this post.

authentic1
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's what I got, too. Verizon customer service is useless.

authentic1
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do I turn off auto-retrieve in a galaxy 6 edge?

0 Likes
authentic1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm turning off my text messaging until Verizon delivers the patch. Maybe if they lose usage income from enough android users they'll be motivated to deliver the patch. Or allow us to exchange for a non-android phone without penalty.

Tidbits
Legend

It has to come from the manufacturer... Google has sent the patches out to manufacturers and no manufacturer has pushed out the fixes

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You came to the right place for assistance authentic1. May I ask what are you wanting to turn auto retrieve off at? For example, your email or your mms? If you can elaborate then we can assist.

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes