Re: Will Verizon support Samsung Pay?
cav22
Enthusiast - Level 3

Bank selection matters very little with Visa and Mastercard being on board.  I would be more concerned about the lack of Discover than banks listed...  Look at any "bank card" these days and they all have Visa/Mastercard/Amex on them...

The reason people have a right to complain is that Samsung has stated that "Verizon isn't part of Samsung Pay."  Implying that Verizon isn't planning to support/allow Samsung Pay. This could be a simple misunderstanding that Verizon is still deciding whether to participate.  Which should be cleared up pretty quickly by a response from Verizon Wireless Customer Support.

No-one should cancel accounts over this at this time as has been mentioned the capability is not available to anyone yet.  But if you are concerned I would cancel phone orders and pre-orders until they provide something official through some channel.  If the service is live and others are using it and Verizon still stays quiet then that may be the time to re-evaluate your options.  Hopefully we will get an answer soon but for those that are panicking, don't, yet.  The sky isn't falling (yet).

0 Likes
ltolman1
Contributor - Level 1

I bought the Galaxy s6 Edge for the purpose of Samsung Pay. I didn't know Samsung was gonna have selected banks, selected cards and even selected Carriers.  I do know that Samsung and Looppay went hand in hand.  And since I've been using Looppay (Since July 2014) on my Galaxy s5 and my s6 I figured "easy breazy"

After hearing that Verizon "may not" implement Samsung Pay; I'm becoming very hot under the collar.  Looppay has changed their application so much that I have been dying for Samsung Pay.  And now seeing some of Samsung Pay in action I can clearly say "Yes, please, now!"

But I too have been a Verizon wireless customer for years...heck I'm still even grandfathered for Unlimited Data for like 29.99 but if Verizon will not support Samsung Pay then I think I too may just leave.

Please Verizon, please support Samsung Pay...........thank you!

nlauinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same boat..long time Verizon customer...not on a contract and would purchase a new Samsung phone just to get Samsung Pay..However iwhen i saw Verizon wasnt on the Samsung Pay list i stoppd my order for a Note 5. If Verizon doesn't decide soon on accepting Samsung Pay...I will go to a carrier that does and buy my new phone and service from them. The ability to use Magnetic Secure Transmission mag strip emulation tech in Samsung Pay is a big draw for me because you can use it almost anywhere . Can you hear me now Verizon? Don't try and cripple software in order for you to make a buck. The longer you wait on this decision...the more customers you will loose because of your uncertainty and support.

0 Likes
marc10406
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon must not have gotten a big enough cut from Samsung.   It is all about money not network security or any other crappie coming from Verizon.  They could care less about their customers.  They have step in the past that they don't worry about losing customers to other carriers. I was not aware of this issue on Samsung Pay when I bought my phone.  So may just return the thing and get a used Note 4.

0 Likes
GaryA73
Contributor - Level 1

What is the difference between Google Wallet/Android Pay and Samsung Pay?  Is Samsung Pay more like Apple Pay in that it only works with certain banks and card issuers? Does it offer more features than Google Wallet currently does?  I am sure that Android Pay will offer more features than Google Wallet currently does.

Also, I noticed a lot of talk on this thread about contracts.  Just so you know, Verizon isn't doing 2 year contracts anymore.  They are moving to the model where you pay $X amount for a chunk of data, a per line fee for each device connected (phone, tablet, etc), and then a separate monthly amount to pay for each newly purchased device on an installment plan.  Of course all calls and texts are unlimited. I believe if you cancel your service, you immediately have to pay off any devices you were paying installments on.

But anyone on a current contract will be on contract until it ends. You just can't renew it.  No more subsidized phones. I do believe that you can still keep old plans,such as ones with unlimited data.  I gave up my unlimited to get a new G3 a little over a year ago.  I thought I'd miss it, but I only use about 5GB a month so I really don't need the extra.  I just don't stream movies or anything over cellular, and I try to download app updates on wifi as well.  I am a Comcast customer and they have installed a lot of free wifi hotspots in their service areas.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

GaryA73 wrote:

What is the difference between Google Wallet/Android Pay and Samsung Pay?  Is Samsung Pay more like Apple Pay in that it only works with certain banks and card issuers? Does it offer more features than Google Wallet currently does?  I am sure that Android Pay will offer more features than Google Wallet currently does.

Google Wallet uses NFC as does Apple Pay.  Samsung Pay uses a magnetic strip technology to wirelessly transmit data and emulate the magnetic stripe on the back of a traditional credit/debit card.  This requires different technologies to work and security measures to implement.

Also, I noticed a lot of talk on this thread about contracts.  Just so you know, Verizon isn't doing 2 year contracts anymore.  They are moving to the model where you pay $X amount for a chunk of data, a per line fee for each device connected (phone, tablet, etc), and then a separate monthly amount to pay for each newly purchased device on an installment plan.  Of course all calls and texts are unlimited. I believe if you cancel your service, you immediately have to pay off any devices you were paying installments on.

But anyone on a current contract will be on contract until it ends. You just can't renew it.  No more subsidized phones.

Current customers can renew a contract and upgrade, but would have to change plans.

I do believe that you can still keep old plans,such as ones with unlimited data.  I gave up my unlimited to get a new G3 a little over a year ago.  I thought I'd miss it, but I only use about 5GB a month so I really don't need the extra.  I just don't stream movies or anything over cellular, and I try to download app updates on wifi as well.  I am a Comcast customer and they have installed a lot of free wifi hotspots in their service areas.

0 Likes
marc10406
Enthusiast - Level 3

One way to get Verizon's attention is if everyone returns their Note 5 or cancel their order and see the reason is no Samsung Pay support.  Verizon only understands money.  They could care less about their customers.  Unless Verizon can monetize a feature they will not support it.  Notice no MS Office apps so can't get the 100 GB one drive offer from Samsung.  They want you to use Verizon Cloud instead.  It is all about maximizing the dollar at the expense of their customers.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Doing that means nothing. Doesn't matter what phone you have you pay the same regardless of device you have. They don't make money off devices like you think they do.

0 Likes
cav22
Enthusiast - Level 3

For those that didnt see it...  Here is the latest official statement.

Verizon is in the process of evaluating Samsung Pay and we’ll keep our customers updated on any news regarding the service. Verizon News (@VerizonNews) (https://twitter.com/VerizonNews/status/634810472160710656)

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

So, say, after all this fussing to get Samsung Pay users on Verizon finally get it, and then this happens.....Breaking the Galaxy Note 5 is as easy as reinserting the stylus backwards | The Verge