Re: Will Verizon support Samsung Pay?
Sparky13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Google Wallet doesn't allow you to use your phone at regular magnetic card swipe terminals. Samsung Pay does. Which means Samsung Pay can be used at 99% of terminals in the US! Google Wallet only works at NFC enabled terminals, which is a pretty low percentage in the US at the moment. Samsung Pay was a HUGE selling point for me in buying the S6! Which is why I would switch carriers if you (Verizon) don't support it!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Then switch already. Folks... bottom line speaks volumes. If you can find better then switch. Carriers now are willing to help you switch...

0 Likes
Sparky13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon hasn't finished "evaluating" or come out and said they won't support Samsung Pay. The point of this thread is to send the message that they should support it or they will lose customers. I don't want to switch. But if Verizon comes out and says they won't support Samsung Pay, then I will.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Why wait? Seriously... past your return dates 2 months later? 1 year later? Think about it? If it mattered that much then it isn't worth waiting for as you can get it right now from somewhere else. Waiting means it isn't all that important.

0 Likes
cav22
Enthusiast - Level 3

Samsung Pay is not currently available on any carrier in the US at this time for public consumption outside of beta.  Verizon has stated that they are evaluating whether it will be supported.

Many here are hoping there will be an official announcement that it will be supported however there are many who may want to return devices recently purchased due return policies that may lock them into contracts with Verizon if they wait until the official Samsung Pay release later this month.  If 1 of 3 things will most likely play out. 

1) Verizon announces that they will support Samsung Pay and pushes an update to include it on supported devices prior to the 9/28 date it officially becomes available.  Verizon in this case would gain back some of the distrust that customers have felt from past issues/delays. 

2) Verizon continues to evaluate past the 9/28 available date and a relatively small group of customers leave for other carriers earning Verizon continued bad press and reputation.  I have read no less than 10 articles that specifically call Verizon out for not supporting it including some of their own subsidiaries.  Assuming they allow it at a later point, as has been done with other software (Google Wallet), it will look poorly on Verizon that they are not "Agile" enough to get the software evaluated within 1 months time.  If the Payment service is not successful then Verizon will be moderately praised for testing further. 

3) Verizon denounces the software and loses even more customers than in option 2.  If the service takes hold then Verizon will be scrambling to get on board.  If it is a flop, which all indications coming from the beta indicate it wont be, then they will look like the smartest ones to avoid it all together.

None of this is most likely the reason for their delay.  There is a wealth of marketing data that I am sure Verizon would like access to that would come from any popular payment service.  I would be willing to bet that for the largest carrier to get on board they are trying to gain some data sharing agreements with Samsung which my guess is the real reason for Verizon's delay.  They could care less about the potential loss of a few (read small percentage) customers.  That doesn't keep the majority of customers from hoping that option 1 mentioned above occurs...

Tidbits
Legend

Like Google Wallet was popular with the techies a few years ago? Think about it realistically is all I am saying.  If you have the notion to try and strong arm saying you'll switch is an empty threat because just like Wallet in the past or XYZ update shows people say they will but never do.

ShelJW
Enthusiast - Level 1

Both my son (S6 Edge) and I (Note5) are eagerly awaiting Verizon's response regarding Samsung Pay.

I would hope and expect that, considering the fact that ATT, Sprint, TMobile and every other carrier is supporting Samsung Pay, that Verizon would do the same!

Please give us an answer as to whether or not Samsung Pay will be provided. I wouldn't be surprised if some people jumped ship if this excellent feature were disabled on only one carrier!

Sparky13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since I have an S6, which I bought in April, I am past the return date anyway, so waiting does me no harm since, as was mentioned by cav22, Samsung Pay is still in beta.  If however the third option mentioned by cav22 occurs, it will not be an empty threat from me.  I have stayed with Verizon because they have the best coverage (and had the only coverage in my hometown, no joke), but numerous stunts like this have put me at the breaking point.  Google Wallet was not very popular because it didn't work on very many terminals, and still doesn't.  But the ability to use Samsung Pay at virtually every terminal in the US makes it much more viable and practical.  You may be right in saying that many are throwing out empty threats.  But mine isn't one of them.  I will leave.  And while Verizon probably doesn't care about losing me or a few other customers because of this, I would hope they do and that the number of people wanting this feature would be enough to sway their decision.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Actually it was very popular even if it didn't do what pay does now...  there was petitions and FCC was involved which forced Verizon to actually make a public statement and the FCC accepted the answer. If it wasn't popular this would have never happened.

0 Likes
Buzzy3970

Verizon please support samsung pay. I give you guys a lot of money every month not to mention I upgrade phones like every 6 month. We want samsung pay. Give it to us.

0 Likes