Re: Will we ever get unlimited data again?
Not applicable

http://www.hughesnet.com/  Is the latest to offer faster than previous speeds for internet. You can be anywhere to get it but have to have a clear line to the sky to Get your proper signal.   This service has many do's and don't with it. So read the conditions before you elect to get service. You can set up wifi with a router connected to the satellite modem, but let the installer do it for you.  good luck

0 Likes
Not applicable

charlieandcarter wrote:

The Samsung S4 is what AT&T offers. I also have an AT&T cell phone, not as fancy as the Samsung you are referring, but I've always been very happy with At&T. Better service and lower pricing. Waiting for them to bring internet to my area but that may be a long time. In the meantime, I see wifi being discussed here. Maybe someone can explain what it is and how you get it. We're looking for other internet service. thanks, Charlie

I believe Brian explained wifi to you.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network.htm  This link should explain it fully.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Explain how paying for something with my tax dollars is getting it for free????

0 Likes
Not applicable

rcschnoor wrote:

Explain how paying for something with my tax dollars is getting it for free????

Actually taxes are used to pay out to entitlement programs. Medicade and Welfare come to my mind. There are many other programs that support for the common good. The problem is many richer states pay more taxes that go to the less fortunate states. That is why we are the United States of America. Technology is no different in our taxes are now used to spread the internet to far reaching countryside communities. This is a surcharge which is another name for taxes. Even though our taxes pay for a load of foolishness those same taxes are there for the public good and when your taxes pay for a buildout of wifi or other internet services the potential for advancement in these fields is great. So may not be 100% free in the sense but available and cost effective to the citizens is far better than having a family out in "Hooterville USA"  not having the ability to use the net to enrich their daily lives.

You see we now have paid services and are price gouged by corporate America. With the government requiring communities to have the ability to hook into the net via tax subsidy will allow more people to have what we in the cities now have. I have no problem with that. And Jim is right in the future people will be on a wide net access and as in some futuristic movies I have seen we as a people will be walking around with eye pieces and wrist devices which will keep us all connected. Alas like Jim I probably will not see it in my lifetime but know the future is going to be exciting. That is uif we don't blow ourselves up with all the weapons we use for defense

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You don't have to explain what taxes are and how they work.

I just wanted to know how something is "free" if I am paying for it, regardless if it is with tax dollars or if it is paying directly. I would STILL be paying for it.

0 Likes
Not applicable

It's free to anyone who doesn't pay taxes, which is probably the majority of people posting on this forum and crying about Verizon's prices and service.

0 Likes
Not applicable

My money is on July 2014.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Charlie.  There are several possible sources for internet connectivity.  They include land lines, cell phone signals, and satellite.  Landline providers to your home would be such as your cable tv provider, AT&T DSL and FIOS through your phone line, and U-Verse tv and internet through your phone line.  Cell phone providers such as Verizon and AT&T provide internet through their system of cell towers to your 3G and 4G devices such as smartphones and tablets and some other 4G devices.  Finally, there are a couple providers via satellite signals.  Of these three methods, land lines are usually faster and provide more capacity for a lower price.  Cell phone providers are usually called mobile internet and are usually expensive with limited capacity.  I'm not sure about satellite capacity, but I believe it is relative slow.

Generally people would have a land line source to their home with their cable tv.  In their home, they would have a device called a router that broadcast their internet signal throughout their home wirelessly via WIFI.  Using wireless connectivity (WIFI), they can connect their computers, tablets, and cell phones.  This gives them large amounts of capacity at lower cost.  In addition, many public places now have routers and broadcast a WIFI signal throughout their establishment.  These include various places such as Starbucks, McDonalds, and many others.  If you are in close proximity to one of these places, you can connect your smartphone or tablet for free while you shop or eat a meal.

Mobile internet via cell phone towers, as you know, is rather expensive and getting more expensive with limited capacity as more and more people are getting smartphones and tablets.  This is not really intended to be your one and only internet source for home use.  A couple years ago, many of these providers, including Verizon, offered "unlimited" internet at attractive prices, but they are all now backing out of that arrangement.  They just don't have enough capacity for that anymore.

So, for your home, a cable tv provider, U-Verse, or AT&T DSL or FIOS are probably your best bet for large capacity, low cost internet.  If that is not available, a satellite provider might be an option.  Other than that, you are stuck with the more expensive and limited capacity cell phone providers.

I'm sure a couple people will post and point out any errors I have made here, but you get the idea of landline, WIFI, satellite, and cell phone internet service.

0 Likes
Not applicable

By "majority not paying taxes" I'm sure you mean INCOME taxes. But everyone with a job pays 7.65% of their income up to $110,000 in FICA taxes. Everyone that buys ANYTHING pays sales taxes. Anyone puts gas in their car pays gas taxes. Even people that rent instead of own pay property taxes because you can be sure the owner of the property is taking property taxes into account when he decides what the rent will be. So there are very few that do not pay ANY taxes of any sort what so ever.

Also I like to say it's well known that 47% pay no income taxes, but also the top 25% pay 90% of all the income taxes. So even if you "pay taxes" but you are in the top 48%-74% income bracket that group as whole only pays 10% of the income taxes. Hardly an amount to complain about. So you can can make the case they aren't paying their "fair share" either".

0 Likes
Not applicable

scott21 wrote:

I doubt verizon will get rid of Unlimited for ppl who has it for a very long time nice try tho. maybe 2-3 years, You must be one of those people like spread stuff on internet huh ?

What motivation would I have to "spread" things around? For those on unlimited I'm pretty sure having unlimited for only another 2-3 years doesn't seem like a "long time" to them, since they would prefer FOREVER which is MUCH longer period of time.

Also like jim my money is on July 2014. Why? Because June 28th 2014 is when everyone with an unlimited data plan is no longer under contract. And while technically Verizon could get rid of unlimited data NOW just like they could change upgrade dates now for those still under contract, doing for people not under contract just "looks" better in the media. Not not mention by July 2014 the number of people on unlimited will be very small. Hard to garner sympathy when the majority are paying the same for less.

0 Likes