Re: anyone recieve the lollipop updatw for nexus 7 2013 lte?
creator
Contributor - Level 2

I did just get the security patch for 5.1.1 yesterday

0 Likes
mr_stealth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got the latest 5.1.1 (LMY48U) earlier today.  But no 6.0 for either my Nexus 6 or 7.  I've not even received the monthly security update for my phone.

0 Likes
creator
Contributor - Level 2

That should be with the security update as 5.1.1 is what I'm on and have been on for about a month, But I did get a system update 2 days ago. The LMY58U is the version I'm on now

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The LMY58U update is the more recent version before the 6.0 OTA

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
trenton2008
Enthusiast - Level 2

Odd way to force some OTA's to update your Nexus 7 LTE 2013 successfully employed:

Had read on another forum (XDA? Howard Forums? Google? - I just don't remember) that putting another carrier's SIM card in the Nexus 7 can automatically initiate OTA updates, so I purchased a T-Mobile internet data LTE SIM which I installed after removing the Verizon SIM. The tablet immediately on boot found Android OTA update to upgrade 5.0.2 to 5.1, which I installed. Reboot, and 5.1.1 OTA found available, so I installed it. After that, 3 small bug fix/security updates have been installed via OTA. My tablet is now at 5.1.1 LMY48U. No sideloading, no rooting, no factory reset needed.

Personally, I think Verizon, who sold me this tablet, should have known and been working on a solution to tablets they sold with Verizon SIM cards which were stuck at old OTA versions  Unfortunately, Verizon's lack of customer support has been extremely disappointing. Why would Verizon's active SIM prevent OTA updates beyond 5.0.2, yet swapping the Verizon SIM for a $0.99 T-Mobile one, allows OTA updates, is something Verizon should have discovered by now and advised the community of Verizon subscribers.

I am now debating if I should move my cellular business to another carrier due to Verizon's poor performance. But in the mean time, I am glad to provide this OTA update work-around to anyone who can use it.

mr_stealth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think that should work without using another SIM.  Just remove the Verizon SIM and connect via wifi only.  The tablet is fully functional with no SIM installed, it just won't have mobile data service.

The SIM swap/removal is certainly more convenient (especially for the non-tech savvy) than sideloading. Though sideloading the OTAs isn't as bad as installing the full factory images.  It has a few less steps and doesn't require unlocking the bootloader or wiping the device.  Getting windows to properly see the device in recovery mode is likely the trickiest part of the process.

The entire situation is really sad.  There is no excuse for Verizon to have left customers on the 5.0.2 build they stopped rolling out.  All they had to do was approve the OTA update from the problem 5.0.2 build to 5.1, in addition to the 4.4.4 to 5.1 OTA.  Stopping that rollout was the right call to prevent people from bricking their tablets, but you can't simply act like no one installed that build and ignore approving any updates to it.

TatankaHota
Enthusiast - Level 2

@trenton2008

@mr_stealth

Kudos to @trenton2008 for the creative solution he posted above which by-passes Verizon's negligence. I went today to a local T-Mobile store and bought a 3 in 1 data sim. Went home and tried the steps he laid out and "shazzam!" I am now running Android 5.1.1 (LMY48U). Thank you very much! NO SIDELOADING, NO FACTORY RESET, NO BACKUP RESTORE, NO LOSS OF ANY DATA!

@mr_stealth posts an interesting question about just removing the Verizon sim without swapping in the T-Mobile one, but I didn't think to try that, not having seen his post until now. Maybe someone can try that. I did try to boot my tablet without any sim just to see if I could get the OTA for LMY58U that @Ann154 mentions, but nothing Over-The-Air was received either with or without any sim for that build.

After this bad experience with Verizon, I too need to decide if I should move onto another provider, even if it is one that uses Verizon's network like PagePlus Cellular, Selectel Wireless, or PuppyWireless, which will at least reduce the $$$ I give Verizon.

mr_stealth
Enthusiast - Level 2

The update after LMY58U is MRA58K (6.0), which should still be going through rollout stages from Google.  I don't know if anyone with a Verizon device/SIM has received that one yet.  MRA58K was the end of carrier-specific builds, so it's hard to tell how that will impact Verizon's approval process for rollouts.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Losing a long time customer is heartbreaking, TatankaHota. We want to repair our damaged relationship. Was the issue with receiving the newest software the reason you want to leave, or are there other issues that are unresolved? Please tell us more.

LynnD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't even received the 6.0 OTA yet on my wifi only Nexus 7 tablet.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes