cannot make/take calls or send texts.
Dev_n
Enthusiast - Level 2

The setup:

3 phone family... 2 4G devices (DNA, RzrM) 1  3G device (incredible 2). 

Traveling from home area (NE) to Colorado skiing.  Getting into eastern CO..(poor coverage areas) .lots of messages on the 4G phones about data roaming, etc.  Through Denver, back in 4G coverage...did not try to make a call...google maps working fine.

At Granby CO evening of 3/6.  both 4G devices will not make nor receive calls nor send texts... They will receive texts and the data is working fine (3G area).  The 3G device is working fine and the multiple 3G and 4G devices with people we are traveling with work fine!

Call to customer support3/6:  restart...no change

pull sim card and restart... no change

Call to customer support 3/6:     Trouble ticket put in with a 24-48 hour return.

Call to customer support 3/7:     No news on the trouble ticket.

Call to customer support 3/8:     Response to trouble ticket... You are in a low coverage area and things will be fine when you get back into good coverage area.  Began to explain the working phones and the 5 bar signal near the local gas station where I made the original call and was hung up on.

I am always on call and this is a huge problem !!!!!!!!!   Anyone had this experience?  Must travel to AZ 3/10  on business and not having service is not an option!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: cannot make/take calls or send texts.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

While it has been a while since I have traveled that way, the coverage from Nebraska to the front range of Colorado around Denver is covered by Verizon Wireless. Which Verizon Wireless plan do you have?

Could your phones be set on Global or GSM? Did a reboot help? You can also try turning off the phones, taking out the SIM cards for a few minutes, reassemble the phones and turn on the phones to force the phones and the SIM card to reestablish the connection to the Verizon Wireless network.

Even if you are showing a roaming indication in that area, you shouldn't be charged for roaming since it is domestic roaming instead of international roaming.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
cannot make/take calls or send texts.
Dev_n
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann,

With customer support, we went through the CDMA/LTE preference setting.  The reboot did not help.  The SIM card removal did not help.  The plan is a f&f 10 s/p 1200.  unlimited text. used to be unlimited (alltel) data.  2G now.  incredible 2 is still on the grandfathered data.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

An Alltel plan might have a different PRL and that could contribute to the phones connecting to different towers in a different order from a phone with a Verizon PRL.

do you have any thoughts?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

The PRL will have implications, especially in rural areas. However, if there are VZW Towers there, the devices would find them. But, if VZW is roaming on another carrier and Alltel did not have an agreement with that carrier  prior to VZW purchasing Alltel, there can be big holes in service.

Much like with an Alltel plan, in Alaska you will pay roaming and long distance, VZW plan you will not.

In KY for a long time after the purchase of Alltel,  Alltel plan holders had service in the Bluegrass Cellular coverage area, VZW had nothing at all.

In USVI with an Alltel plan, calls are handled off your plan as a local call, VZW Plan holders pay $1.09 minute.

My question to the OP, do the others in your party have VZW plans? Simple way to tell, if on their screen it states VERIZON WIRELESS, they have a VZW Plan. You should not see that in your devices with an Altel plan. It is that way to help reps in the store....

Dev_n
Enthusiast - Level 2

Back in Denver... everything works fine!   There had to be a problem of some sort...many other verizon customers in Granby no problems...including one on my plan.  Still have the triangle above the bars in Denver...why would that be?

0 Likes