data overage
st83871
Enthusiast - Level 1

anybody finding they're going over their data recently when they never have before?  Past 2 months I have gone over, yet I'm always connected to wifi.   What would cause this and why all the sudden? I have seen Facebook discussions recently about Verizon and people going over data recently as well.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: data overage
bearone21
Legend

if you're always on wi-fi, make sure mobile data is turned off.

chances are you think you're on wi-fi but aren't.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

st83871, we are glad that you’re are staying on top of your data usage. We can definitely see what’s going on to contribute to the additional usage. It looks as if you have an Android device, and the Android OS has a great tool that logs what apps are using the data. This can be found by going to Settings > Data Usage.
Once on this screen, be sure to adjust the “Data usage cycle” to align with your bill cycle day. This way when you scroll down, this tool will lay out what apps have used the most data. What are the top five apps that show as using data?

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
st83871
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's Facebook (. 02gb) and then a few others with less than 0.01gb. I'm

going to have to check my son's phone bc i think he's the culprit. When

he's on lunch in middle school he's going on Instagram. Is there a way to

limit his data monthly?

On Apr 12, 2016 10:45 AM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

st83871, as a mother, I totally understand the importance of monitoring the usage on my children's lines. You have the option of adding the Family Base feature to your account. FamilyBase is a service to monitor wireless activities and set usage limits and restrictions for each user on an account. For more details, click the link below: 

https://my.verizonwireless.com/vzw/nos/safeguards/SafeguardProductDetails.action?productName=familyb...

LasinaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

if you're always on wi-fi, make sure mobile data is turned off.

chances are you think you're on wi-fi but aren't.

0 Likes
Kimbomb
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am so frustrated with my Verizon bills the last three months outrages gauging for overages we have been good customers of Verizon for many years but I'm not sure we can afford this service any more it's shocking

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are getting overage charges, maybe you need to look at why you are using so much data or change your plan to accommodate your usage.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
st83871
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's all of the sudden over past few months.  I used to share 1gb between me and my son.  Now I'm up to 3gb and still borderline going over.  Why all the sudden???  I have friends on Facebook that are experiencing the same thing

0 Likes
st83871
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't feel I should have to pay monthly to limit his data so I don't have to pay overage.

Verizon should include in the family plan automatically.  Does it cost you extra to limit?  No, it's just less money than if I would have gone over

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@st83871

I understand your concerns with potential data overages. We want to ensure we provide you all the necessary tools for monitoring your data usage on your account.

Keep in mind; the usage alert features we offer our customers are available at no charge. However, if you’re looking to place “usage limits” on certain lines on your account, that feature does have a minimal monthly charge. See more details here: http://vz.to/1xccfxq.

AnthonyTa_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes