downloading contacts to my car
Zena

I just bought a new Mercedes. The bluetooth connected immediately, but I cannot download my contacts. I tried my husband's Blackberry and it worked perfectly. Deleted his info, but my droid will still not download into the car's address book. This is for my phone numbers not email.

Thanks for any help you have.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: downloading contacts to my car
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

Zena wrote:

I just bought a new Mercedes. The bluetooth connected immediately, but I cannot download my contacts. I tried my husband's Blackberry and it worked perfectly. Deleted his info, but my droid will still not download into the car's address book. This is for my phone numbers not email.

Thanks for any help you have.

Same issue with my Infinity...My work BBerry syncs contacts immediately with no issue but the Eris won't.

0 Likes
richo151

Same here. Droid and Blackberry  (and 4 year old RAZR) download address book to Mercedes but not the Droid Eris.  Any ideas?

0 Likes
Iceman1906
Contributor - Level 1

If you Droid Eris is using Android OS 1.5 it will not push the phonebook because you are missing the Bluetooth Profile PBA(Phonebook Access). Also your car Bluetooth needs to support Bluetooth version 2.0+EDR.

0 Likes
Iceman1906
Contributor - Level 1

Here is some additional information regarding updates for the Eris, that will correct the PBA issue.

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/eris.pdf

0 Likes
ob995

I want to report that my Eris connected just fine to my car built in bluetooth system when I had android system 1.5 and once I downloaded 2.1 I would get authentication errors trying to pair my eris with 2.1 with my car. So I went to verizon store to swap my eris out thinking it got damage during the upgrade, and upgraded new phone in the store to 2.1 and tested it right with my car right away and it did not work either. So I swapped it for another 1.5 eris which worked just fine. It would not download my phonebook to my car but at least it connects and I am able to make and receive calls via my car bluetooth system.

This problem happens on the newer mercedes and BMW bluetooth system depending on the model is 2008+ which is a bluetooth  2.1+edr standard bluetooth car kit which use secure simple pairing. On the older bluetooth system which are based on bluetooth 2.0+edr which use BD_ADDR authentication 2.1 works just fine and it pushes the phonebook and calling lists to the phone.

The whole problems seems to be with bluetooth stack of the android and how it handles SSP authentication and the fact their is no way to force it down to bluetooth 2.0+edr standard so it can pair with the device and work.

I contacted HTC to report this bug and the tech support guy pretty blow me off, saying that bluetooth is not compatible always and it was not HTC fault the device did not work but more than likely both BMW and Mercedes software. I also informed him a Motorola Droid has no problem sync with either car using 2.1+edr via SSP. So the problem lies either with HTC hardware not be able to support SSP, something they modified from google plain 2.1 based kernel or something HTC sense was causing.

Btw the problem lies with something HTC does to the base android operating system or their bluetooth hardware as people on BMW and MB forums are reporting same problem I describe above using HTC Incredible as well with the same models cars from both manufactures using the new bluetooth systems with 2.1+edr. Yet everyone on those same forums is reporting the same cars have no problem connecting to Samsung or Motorola based android phones using android 2.1. Which lends me to believe something that HTC does to based android 2.1 operating system provide by google is causing the problem.

0 Likes
cappy
Enthusiast - Level 3

i am having the same issue with my lincoln mkx 2008...eris syncs with the car but no contacts are downloaded...i am a simple business man that does not look for fancy apps or useless games that are offered...however a simple task such as this is very important to making my working day a little easier and more productive....i am hoping that this issue is resolved or i will have to go back to my blackberry

0 Likes
SalMaz

I have the same issue with my 2006 BMW and my LG Spectrum.  They connect fine but the phone-book will not load to the car.  My son's iPhone loads fine, my wife's regular LG  (not smartphone) works fine, my old Motorola Droid worked fine, but the latest, greatest LG doesn't work.  I was hoping the recent update to android would help, but it did not.  Any ideas out there??

0 Likes
jms333

My Driod Incredible worked perfectly with my 2006 BMW 330i, syncing contacts and all for 2 years. Friday, it stopped syncing. Brought it to the dealer (for something else) and they did a diagnostic on it and the car was good. Then another service manager said that he had the same car, same phone and the same issue started on Friday??? Tried a second Incredible with the same results. Need to try an iphone or something. Did Verizon push some security patch or something. This is way too much of a coincidence!

0 Likes