Re: droid eris battery
stizod

i'm still confused a bit as to how to "turn off" things like stock and weather.

i run the taskiller app but not sure that's doing the trick.

0 Likes
omcdowel

Actually both Verizon and HTC state 373 hours standby time:

Clipped from HTC website:

Talk time: 214 min
Standby: 373 hrs

The 214 minutes is actually talking on the phone, since you are not talking on the phone constantly you should expect the phone to go more than 1 day between charges.

0 Likes
BG

no way - mine sat on table overnight after a full charge and battery was down to about 20% less than 8 hrs later - without  being used since I was sleeping (unless some alien droids visited overnight - lol!) - obviously I must have something running in background that is consuming lots of power or the battery is defective.

I can't figure out what it would be  though - wifi is turned off, GPS and bluetooth off, the wether widgets i have on home screeen are set too only update once per hour; i did notice the stocks widget was on autoupdate (deleted that one will see if makes a difference) - emails set to update about every 15 mins

and only received 1 text and 2 emails overnight......

0 Likes
sparkyguy

Well this is pretty disturbing.  I certainly hope that Verizon employees are monitoring these forums and will have some answer for the vast numbers of people who are having battery issues with the phone.  My Verizon contract is up in around 4 weeks and -- prior to the appearance of these Android phones -- I'd planned, VERY reluctantly, to leave Verizon for AT&T so I can get an iPhone.  The Eris really looked like a way I could stay with Verizon.  Now, I'm not at all sure.  And I'm disappointed to discover these stories about poor battery life everywhere on the internets, and nothing from Verizon.

0 Likes
techspert
Contributor - Level 1

I seem to remember some SMS issue with the Sprint Hero that would cause the phone to run down the battery fast.  I think the temp fix was to use some 3rd part SMS app and they're still waiting on HTC to fix this.  I wonder if there's a similar issue with the Droid Eris.  I have a Blackberry for work with pushed email for both work and personal.  That thing lasts about 2 days, at least.  I don't think the battery is that much bigger, capacity-wise.

0 Likes
stizod

yes, i did some research as well and found a significant difference after switching SMS. apparently the default Message program prevents the phone from sleeping as soon as you send a text with it.

here's what you do (found this and other useful info out at http://androidforums.com😞

download either Handcent or Chomp SMS as a third party text message program.

then go into Message program (the preloaded one on phone) and turn off all notifications/retrieving of messages so it won't receive texts. 

reboot phone.

go to a contact card and then to send them a text message. you will then be prompted to select which program to use. check the "make default" box and then select Handcent (or Chomp). 

should be all SET!

*if you run a task manager or killer, you'll notice the original Message program will continue to show itself running BUT as long as you do NOT send a text with "Message", the program won't trigger the phone to prevent it from sleeping.

**i've had my phone fully charged at 830pm last night and it's 330pm (19 hours later) and i'm at 42% with mild phone usage. (wifi / bluetooth / gps off as well).

0 Likes
sparkyguy

I stopped by a Verizon store today to ask about the new Android devices and the battery problems with the Eris.  The sales associate told me that she was recommending to her customers that they carry an extra battery or a charger with them so the phone can be used for an entire day.

No comment.

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

There are other threads discussing battery issues. It may benefit those concerned to seach for "battary". These battery thread issues keep popping (new) up over and over... that's probably why there isn't alot of discussing on this thead.

1) The Hero SMS bug is not on the Eris. The Hero SMS application was causing the parial lock on the Dialer and therefor not allowing the phone to sleep. No need to installed Handsent or Chomp unless you like those addition features.

2) Download "Spare Parts" from the market. Check "Partial Awake Usage" if your have battery issues. Android System should be listed on top. If it isn't, the application on the top is your battery issue!

3) Reboot your phone and monitor your wake usage under settings -> about ->status then scroll to the bottom. The "Awake Time" should be a relatively low percent. My up time is 24 hours and my awake time is 2:40 (11%).

You also cant compare the Eris (smartphone) to another non-smartphone (Dare). The Eris by simple nature will draw alot more power then the Dare. If your really concerned with having 2-3 day charge periods, then stick with a Dare or EV3 or something like that.

edit: Also.... these batteries take a wekk or two to fully calibrate. Once the battery is broken it... it should perform better. Some have reported a good solid 20% increase after having the phone for a few weeks.

0 Likes
riksco

I posted this on another thread . . . 

Apps running in the background will use battery even if the phone is locked and sitting idly by all night.  You can try downloading an App Killer to shut off things you don't need running all the time like Mail, Facebook, Camera, etc.  Whenever you turn one of those guys on, it stays on even if you move on to something else.   Result:  battery drain.

Since I've started using Advanced Task Killer (free App) I'm happy as a clam.  Depending on how much I play on the phone, I'm getting nearly 3 times the battery life I was before I installed this App.

Also, we all need to reconsider our expectations of battery life on a smart phone for the very reasons I just stated.  There a great article that opened my eyes.  Linked here:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/181684/droid_battery_life_requires_new_charging_habits...

0 Likes
csmap

'Turn off GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth.'    I called Verizon Wireless tech support once and went to Verizon Store 2 times and my third attempt the rep asked me not to have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on, which I did already, and he looked into my phone more and found the my GPS receiver was on and asked me to turn off.  'It is also good to put phone onto Flight Mode' when inside underground subway also, he told me.  I then turned off all 3- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS, and now my phone last around 24 hours.  Since GPS requires clear skyview and I am indoor most of the time, I don;t bother with GPS as much anymore.  I let XPS (Hybrid Positioning System), which uses cell tower to locate one's cell phone, which may be off by a bit.   I now own a backup battery.  I think eventually, HTC or aftermarket battery maker may come up with an bigger battery for longer battery life, but this means the back cover has to be replace and it will also make the phone thicker.  I also own a HTC Mogul, Window Mobile based, with GPS software.  Since the HTC Mogul has a bigger capacity battery, my HTC Mogul last much longer.

0 Likes