factory reset
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

If my phone gets lost or stolen will a factory reset allow whomever has the phone to see the settings gear? Or do they only get the lock screen?

If someone knows the sequence that happens after a factory reset in regard to securing the phone beforehand.

Thank You

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: factory reset
stef7
Master - Level 2

If I'm not mistaken, a phone that undergoes a factory reset will reboot and allow someone to set the phone up as they wish. If you have a microSD card in the phone with content on it, I think an FDR doesn't wipe that

Your question may be more accurately answered if you provide a little more information about the scenario you are inquiring about.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

if you've reported it stolen/lost...turned in a claim to replace, the phone won't be activated by whomever finds it.

there are some safeguards, samsung login/password(if a samsung) to insure it's the owner attempting to login.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

what type of phone do you have?

0 Likes
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

I have a LG phone.

I was told by a customer service that a factory reset removes the screen lock password/pin/knock code etc and your google account and its password on android keeps the phone from being used if lost or stolen Then I was told by another CS rep that a factory reset does not remove your screen lock password/pin/knock code etc.

So what happens after a factory reset does the user have access to the settings on the home screen or do they have to enter the screen lock password/pin/knock code to get to them on the home screen?

Also how does the google account secure the phone I can use it without being logged into my google account?

Thank you

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

My Samsung Galaxy S4 & S7 Edge require me to enter the password to my Google account before a factory default begins. The LG may behave in a similar manner.

stef7
Master - Level 2

My understanding was that after a Factory Reset, everything but the contents of the microSD card would be erased. This would mean, you could boot it back up, and go through the process of entering a Google username and password and setting up the device.

I think you can log onto a PC and perform a remote Factory Data Reset.

To make it so no-one else could use your phone, I think you would report the IMEI as stolen. I think there is a way to suspend service by logging into your MyVerizon account.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

On Samsung phones, the wiping of the SD card is optional. ☺

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Without knowing which LG you have they should have some help here on what you are going through

Start here

LG Support | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

vanigo,

Thanks for checking in with us on this. We know it's always important to know how your phone works. In most cases phones can not be used if reset because you need to either know the google account password or manufacturers account password to unlock it. We would need a specific model to know more, but odds are that the phone is not usable. If the phone is locked when lost, it definitely won't be usable if it's a recently made phone.

EricW_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes