have had several apps recently that wont open. tried reinstalling and even did a factory reset on my phone, htc m8. suggestions?
tcw660
Enthusiast - Level 2

recently I have had Verizon mobile, facebook, weatherbug, kill shot, and minion rush all start to open and then close on their own.  I've uninstalled them all and that didn't work.  Took the sd card out since the Verizon reps thought that might be the problem.  I ended up doing a factory reset on the phone, htc m8, and that didn't fix any of the issues.  Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: have had several apps recently that wont open. tried reinstalling and even did a factory reset on my phone, htc m8. suggestions?
Snn5
Legend

Another user suggested:

Uninstalling updates for "Android System WebView".

Here are the step by step instructions:
1) Get to the "App Manager" screen (one way: settings / App Manager)

2) Swipe over to the "ALL" screen to see "All Apps Installed"

3) Scroll down until you find "Android System WebView" (or use magnifying glass to
search for "webview") and press it

4) Press "Uninstall Updates" button and enjoy!

View solution in original post

Re: have had several apps recently that wont open. tried reinstalling and even did a factory reset on my phone, htc m8. suggestions?
Snn5
Legend

Another user suggested:

Uninstalling updates for "Android System WebView".

Here are the step by step instructions:
1) Get to the "App Manager" screen (one way: settings / App Manager)

2) Swipe over to the "ALL" screen to see "All Apps Installed"

3) Scroll down until you find "Android System WebView" (or use magnifying glass to
search for "webview") and press it

4) Press "Uninstall Updates" button and enjoy!

sdrob
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having exact same problem with that phone too.  Seems unlikely the issue would be fixed by deleting app updates for several apps, but would be curious to know if that worked for you.   At least I know now that resetting phone doesn't work. 

0 Likes
mthog27
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same exact problem and have had it for almost a week now. I have talked to several people with Verizon and have gotten nowhere. I have done everything they have told me to do and nothing has helped me out. I have uninstalled the apps and have reinstalled them, went in safe mode and nothing. It's driving me nuts.

sdrob
Enthusiast - Level 2

This appears to be the fix, at least it worked for me.   Found it another discussion.  Its the Android System Webview app that you need to disable the latest updates from and stop from updating.  After that, all my apps worked again. 

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/27/apps-crashing-android-system-webview/#disqus_thread

Re: have had several apps recently that wont open.  tried reinstalling and even did a factory reset on my phone, htc m8.  suggestions?
tcw660
Enthusiast - Level 2

wish I would have looked on here before I did a factory reset on my phone!  this simple fix has allowed the third party apps to open and be used again!!  thanks so much!!!

Re: have had several apps recently that wont open.  tried reinstalling and even did a factory reset on my phone, htc m8.  suggestions?
Snn5
Legend

Glad that worked for you!

0 Likes