how do i get rid of blockbuster etc.?
brooklyndodger
Enthusiast - Level 1

a Blockbuster update wants to stop my phone from going to sleep. I don't want Blockbuster on my phone - how can I get rid of it?

I think this is bad marketing since I will not use any application that is forced upon me without the ability to remove it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: how do i get rid of blockbuster etc.?
Sythrix
Contributor - Level 1

One of the more unfortunate choices of carriers is to force bloatware onto their consumer. There is no way to get rid of it. I think they probably make deals with the app makers to have their apps "burned in" to the phone. They are not removable. I don't see how anyone can think this is somehow a good business practice as it just infuriates the customer. Hopefully one day they will realize that it adds nothing to the phone to force software onto people, and if someone isn't interested in something, they should just let them remove it. I've had blockbuster on my phone since I got it. Never once touched it. So please wise up a little Verizon, you service is great, but we don't want forced apps.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

brooklyndodger wrote:

a Blockbuster update wants to stop my phone from going to sleep. I don't want Blockbuster on my phone - how can I get rid of it?

I think this is bad marketing since I will not use any application that is forced upon me without the ability to remove it.

I'm pretty sure you answered your own question.  Now, what do you mean "wants to stop my phone from going to sleep."?

0 Likes
Sythrix
Contributor - Level 1

As a workaround, you could just turn off all notifications for apps. Just go into the Google play store and manage settings from the options key and disable all notification for app updates. This should turn off any notifications you receive. Unfortunately it means you will have to manually go in and check for updates. You win some and you lose some

0 Likes
koreanmilk
Enthusiast - Level 1

there is a way to get rid of bloatware applications, >Posted edited to comply with VZW ToS. Discussing of rooting/jailbreaking/hacking is not allowed on this forum<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
cbcrocker

You like getting a phone for $29 instead of $500? This is how the American carriers subsidize their phones. Companies pay the carriers to include the bloatware to offset the cost of subsidiaing the equipment.  Being uninstallable is part of the contract in the hopes that the consumer will eventually use their product. Bloatware and extreme plan costs support the subsidization.  In Europe the consumer pays full price for the phone BUT their monthly phoe plan costs a whole lot less than what we have to pay.

0 Likes
Sythrix
Contributor - Level 1

I would GLADLY pay full price for a phone if it meant lower bills and no bloatware. Everyone here in America likes getting instant gratifications and worrying about the impending bankruptcy later down the road. As for me, I'd rather save up and pay the full price (which isn't that bad, it IS basically a computer small enough to fit in your pocket) I actually paid full price for my upcoming S3 so I'm no longer bound in a contract. Don't get me wrong, I like Verizon's service, I just don't want to sign any more contracts.

0 Likes
mls3331
Contributor - Level 1

i beleive i read somewhere that stuff like that from blockbuster is called bloatware and that u r stuck with it....

0 Likes
brooklyndodger
Enthusiast - Level 1

It seems to me to be counterproductive... the Blockbuster download rating gets 1.6 stars and most of the comments are saying "... get this off my phone". Personally, I would rather pay a bit extra and have control over my own device - we are getting more and more apps imposed upon us with little regard for our privacy or wishes.

Tidbits
Legend

Users fault and I could give a million reasons why. There is also security issues which I already tried to explain in other threads like this one.

I already have a stance and I will support these groups of people. The ones who buy their devices outright or completed their two year agreement.

0 Likes