how do i stop app's from updating?
ROGUEJEDI
Enthusiast - Level 1

How do I stop the app's on Samsung Galaxy 5 from updating? They're always updating, whether I want them to or not, and using up my Data causing me to have to pay for overage.

No, I don't want so-called Unlimited. I want to stop these useless apps. When I got up today there were 51 updates waiting and a message that I was being billed for going over data.

Labels (1)
Re: how do i stop app's from updating?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Open the Google Play Store app, tap Menu (the three bars) in the upper left-hand corner, scroll down to Settings and tap it, tap Auto-Update Apps and change it to Do Not Auto-Update Apps or to Auto-Update Apps Over Wi-Fi Only.

jav6
Champion - Level 3

On my Droid Turbo2, in the Play Store, selecting My Apps & Games, each app can have Enable auto update turned OFF (unchecked) when selecting the three dots, upper right.  This allows me to be able to individually SKIP updating those apps I don't use.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

I'll also add turn on safety mode and you won't get overages.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

if you don't use 'em why not uninstall or disable what you don't need, that's how i handle bloatware!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ROGUEJEDI, getting alerts about data overage can be concerning. We can help deal with those along with making sure your apps don't update automatically. JAV6 is on the right track on how to ensure the apps don't update automatically. I'm going to share a link to Google's information page on how to turn on/off automatic updates. It works for all Android phones, including your S5: http://spr.ly/6584DdVAE

Additionally, if you're using a New VZ plan, we can use Safety Mode to help prevent overages. Safety Mode will turn on when you've used all your available data, reducing your data speeds but while it is active, doesn't charge any overages. Using your device with Wi-Fi isn't affected, and it's an excellent way to prevent overage. To learn more about Safety Mode and how to activate it, I'm going to share the link to the Safety Mode FAQ page. How to turn it on in the My VZ app, is listed with question #3: http://spr.ly/6585DdVA1

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

JohnTr_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ROGUEJEDI
Enthusiast - Level 1

I appreciate the idea, but both links you sent me go to a Verizon page

that reads "An unexpected error has occurred".

jav6
Champion - Level 3

The links worked for me.  They might assume or work only if you are logged into the Community Forum via the https://community.verizonwireless.com/ website rather than clicking on them in an email.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I don't know why but when someone from VZW post a link a lot of people have problems with them.

See if this helps any

Safety Mode FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Update your Android apps - Google Play Help

Hopes this helps

0 Likes