how to improve and maintain performance of droid phones
leader0101
Enthusiast - Level 3

ive read bits and pieces about how to make the phones faster and stuff but whats the best way of improving  the phones performance without overclocking and putting on custom roms and maintaining that performance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: how to improve and maintain performance of droid phones
Suburban78
Contributor - Level 1
Use a good app killer, power off your phone once a week and don't load up on crap apps you will never use.
0 Likes
Suburban78
Contributor - Level 1
Oh, also stay away from battery monitor widgets and auto updating widgets as they chew up tons of resources, specially on lower end devices such as the ally. Also keep your text messages cleaned out as this will also cripple some devices.
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Biggest thing to do is keep the cache cleared out the applications. I recommend once a week check depending on usage.

Keep an eye on your internal storage. Any thing below 30mb needs some serious cleaning of applications, cache, call history, text messages, in that order. I try and keep my internal storage at 50 mb or higher.

Also try and pay attention to your Dialer Storage. It holds the call history and text messages. But it can grow quickly. I found out the hard way. Had some ringtones saved in the text message thread but rarely looked at them. Then one weekend almost six months after I got, I was looking at the thread a lot because a new message had been sent from that number. The dialer storage went from 5mb to 21mb in a couple of days. Even after deleting the entire thread it only went down 1mb. There was no way to clear data for that app so I ended up doing a factory reset. Now Dialer Storage is a baby size of 64 kb!

I never used a task killer only task managers.

I have a battery monitor and have seen no big difference. However I don't use facebook or twitter so I don't have those constantly updating.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ezas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Once in awhile (a few times a day) I manually check my running apps and close any I don't expect to use again that day. I reboot about once a day just for the heck of it. Every few days to once a week I reprogram my roaming with *228

I don't use automatic task killers. When I tried them they didn't make any difference that I could tell. And if battery life is an issue there are better ways to get more  battery life than killing tasks.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Make sure to uninstall any apps you don't use (except factory installed, obviously), and stay away from app killers, especially their automatic setting.  When you do install new apps, make sure you do so one at a time.  This way, if you come across a bad app, you will have a better chance to know which one it is.  The occasional reboot doesn't hurt, but, imho doesn't really help.  Turning off GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, and even mobile data when not in use, or in a bad reception area will help improve battery life, however, it is a smartphone and the battery life will never be spectacular.

0 Likes