i am searching for a voice recorder app. one that works well recording lectures in class. Any suggestions?
hcombs

I am searching for a voice recorder app. one that works well recording lectures in class. Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: i am searching for a voice recorder app. one that works well recording lectures in class. Any suggestions?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You didn't say what kind of phone you have... some have recorders, some do not, and an app will not give you that functionality if the phone does not have a voice recorder built in.

You probably are better off purchasing a small recorder that is specifically designed for voice recording.  "Class lectures" are likely at least 50 minutes, so you need a device that can store at least that much, and probably more.  You won't get that in a phone...but in a dedicated recorder that can store hours of sound files.  Just google "digital voice recorders" - there are many, they are small, lightweight, and inexpensive.

0 Likes
Re: i am searching for a voice recorder app. one that works well recording lectures in class. Any suggestions?
stef7
Master - Level 2

I'm of a different opinion. Generally, most phones can do this, but hide their Voice Recorder applet behind the SMS Texting Appication and don't expose it to people for their use in common settings. Foolish in my opinion.

While, a phone's microphone isn't really the best device, depending on where the lecturer stands relative to the phone, it's better than nothing. And, this is the perfect kind of tool for someone to use when they want to practice a presentation and hear their own voice to improve their delivery style and content.

A decent sized microSD card could hold many tens of hours of audio, depending on the settings for the program.

Try Easy Voice Recorder with its defaults. Very simple to use.

Remember though, you should first obtain the permission of any lecturer prior to recording the class.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

stef7 wrote:

While, a phone's microphone isn't really the best device, depending on where the lecturer stands relative to the phone, it's better than nothing....

A decent sized microSD card could hold many tens of hours of audio, depending on the settings for the program...

Try Easy Voice Recorder with its defaults. Very simple to use.

Since this is posted in the Android forum, I guess we should assume the user has an Android phone... but since we don't know which one, or how old it is, or if it supports a "decent sized" microSD card ... my answer stands.

Thanks for the Google App suggestion; it may be all the OP is looking for.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

SuzyQ: Thanks. Didn't mean to suggest your answer was bad or there was a right or wrong answer. I concurr with you, a better device would be a recorder designed for the purpose. On the otherhand, it's worth some experimentation IF infact the OP has an android phone and IF the OP has a decent size microSD card installed.

Otherwise, all bets are off. But, if you're already lugging around a phone and if it can do the job, let it. One less thing to loose.

I have answered similar questions on other forums - people don't understand why the Voice Recorder applet in say Gingerbread was hidden. I can't explain it myself except to say it's not a full featured app, and it was envisioned only to be used to send short smippets via SMS/MMS.

But one of the first things I looked for when I got an Android phone was a way to take voice notes... So, I think the designers overlooked a class of people or a class of usage scenarios. Luckily, the independant developers to the rescue. Smiley Happy

If the OP finds the program foots the bill, I think the OP might consider purchasing the PRO version to support the developer. I try to do this when I can because of the increased value they bring to the Android base OS.

Suzy, if we are on good or at least better terms now (hopefully we are), by your Avatar, should I presume you enjoy wine? Do you have a particular preference?

Regards,

S.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem, stef7 - we are both right.  Smiley Happy  And I agree with your reasoning too.  There's room for both opinions, and the OP can use all the information given to decide what will work best.

As for the wine question, that's a bit (a LOT?) off topic, so better dealt with in another time and place.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes