is there a disadvantage of only having 2.1 on my phone?
leader0101
Enthusiast - Level 3

i dont have verizon yet as my service provider so im stuck with centennial wireless as of now and im about to purchase the motorola milestone xt720.

the phone looks great and ive messed with my mom's and i like it but its only running 2.1 right now and i dont think it will get 2.2 or the other versions.

so is this a bad thing?

if so, is there anything that can be done until i switch over to verizon.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: is there a disadvantage of only having 2.1 on my phone?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

They're actually working on that right now:

http://phandroid.com/2010/12/09/froyo-for-motorola-milestone-just-entering-operator-testing/

Not having 2.2 is not necessarily a bad thing, but there were some improvements in speed and battery life made with the update.  But, i would think twice about buying a phone now that is getting outdated with all the improvements that have been made recently in hardware.  I don't know what your provider has available, but you may want to look at something a little more up to date.

0 Likes
ezas
Enthusiast - Level 2

The only reasons I care about 2.2 is that the Fascinate needs a GPS fix and the ability to remove Bing from the soft search key. Other than that being on 2.1 vs 2.2 does not affect my day-to-day use. Do I look foreward to 2.2, yes. But i'm not loosing any sleep over it either.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Verizon has a contract with Microsoft to permanently install Bing on all phones not using the Droid name, so getting an upgrade will not remove it.  Also, you can install GPS status from the market to help with your GPS issues (maybe, unless it's an issue inherent with the phone, but you could try it.).

0 Likes