no wifi = no internet connection
Bdurrenb
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I am out of wifi range, I cannot connect to the internet at all.  I thought mobile data was supposed to kick in if wifi is not detected.  Especially annoying when I'm trying to use google maps and I cant get a connection.  Also, when I'm at the lake there is no wifi; shouldn't I still be able to connect to facebook, etc?  I have a motorola droid maxx.  Is it the phone?

Labels (1)
Re: no wifi = no internet connection
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the cellular data connection turned on?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You’re right, Bdurrenb. Cellular data does generally kick in when you’re out of the WiFi’s range and I want to find out why you're having so much trouble. Ann154 had an excellent suggestion to double check the phone’s data connection (Apps > Settings > More (Wireless & Networks section) > Cellular Networks > Make sure there’s a check mark next to Data Enabled and tap OK to confirm if you’re prompted). If this is on, please let me know if this is happening when you’re in a particular zip code. Also, what error message do you see?

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Dylan_Morris

I get what your problem is, and I highly recommend a free app from the Google Play to fix it. In order to fix your problem, click on the link in the parentheses on your Mac or PC (Data Enabler Widget - Android Apps on Google Play) and make sure you are signed into your google account on the browser you are using, ensuring that you have associated the account with your phone as well. Then click the green install button on the app's listing, then pick the device you are installing it on (in this case, your droid maxx) and wait for the app to start installing on your phone. Once you install it, go to this link (Add Widgets to Home Screen - DROID RAZR / RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA | Verizon Wireless) on your PC or Mac and learn how to install widgets, since this app is essentially a widget. If this app won't work for you then try this app (URL: Data ON-OFF - Android Apps on Google Play) which is essentially the same but is a full-screen app, not a widget. The advantage of both of these apps is that they automatically reconnect you to your carrier's cellular data network, without the need for you to type in your carrier's APN info or do anything requiring typing. The app does everything for you, all you have to do is initiate the process. If you have any questions about my reply, please email me at [removed] so we can discuss further troubleshooting and other stuff. You can also text me at [removed].

Personal information removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Bdurrenb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did check that.  Data enabled box is checked.  There is no specific zip code.  It could down the street from my house or in another town.  The error message I receive is simply 'no internet connection, tap to retry'.  Everybody else's phone can connect.  Just not mine.  That's why I'm thinking its the phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for giving that a shot, Bderrenb. I have to agree that it seems to be something more with your phone but I'm not giving up. Please reset your phone's network settings by going into Apps > Settings > Backup & Reset > Network Settings Reset > Reset Settings. This particular reset will only reset your WiFi,Cellular network, and Bluetooth settings for the phone and not your personal information.

JenniferH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Bdurrenb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't have that.  When I am in Backup and reset, my only options are

(1) Back up my data, which is checked

(2) Backup account

(3) Automatic restore, which is checked

(4) Factory data reset

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I definitely apologize about that last step, Bdurrenb. That step only applied to Android devices that have the Marshmallow update, which the Droid MAXX does not have. Let's get your data back working when you're out and about. Let's make sure your data roaming is enabled, there are no additional charges for roaming within the U.S. Please go to Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Global Data Roaming Access > Allow access for this trip.

Also lets make sure you don't have any data usage limitation set up on the phone itself. Please go to Settings > Data Usage and ensure that there is not a check in "Set Mobile data limit"

JosephE_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Bdurrenb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep.  Everything was already set like that.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bdurrenb, thanks for confirming those settings. Since all of the settings do appear to be correct in your device as it relates to your data connection, let's also take a look at your SIM card since that is where your data signal comes from. Please turn off your Droid Maxx and then remove and reinsert the SIM card as follows:  http://vz.to/1Yc3iNL. Once back on, please let us know if your mobile network returns.

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes