pop up
tareddish

When I try to open up chrome, I have the following message (and I'm not sure if it is legitimate or a virus)

From sutimesi.pw

Your  browser may be too old.

Installing the newest Browser will speedup page loading time by 78% and reduce 3G traffic by 45% with enabled compression.

Click OK and install Browser from Google Play for FREE.

I have turned the phone off several times and it keeps coming back.   Should I click OK??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: pop up
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have? Are you updating your installed applications regularly from the Play Store.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Tareddish, I would be concerned about possibly uploading a virus on my phone as well. I'm glad you reached out to us. As Ann154 mentioned, what is the make and model of the device? Have you tried to update the Chrome application from the Playstore? Is there an update waiting there? 

VeronicaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
GORCLI29
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got it too on a Moto phone and a Samsung tablet. I believe it sneaks into Chrome. I disabled Chrome, returned if to factory settings, then reinstated - updated - Chrome from the Play Store. That seem to have gotten rid of the (expletives deleted) thing.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

My Chrome was being hijacked from my weather app to some page about my phone having viruses on it.

I had to do the same thing that GORCLI29 did and it looks like that it is working for now. The page that my phone was going to wanted me to hit the ok button... DON'T if your phone doesn't have a virus in it you will if you click OK. Do you have your Verizon security app on? If you do this should help it will tell you not to say ok. Just close the browser and do like GORCLI29 did to the app.

rspolo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree, the weather app was acting up all weekend (always 55 deg and when I tried to update it said the service was unavailable but my Tablet uses the same app and it was working) and now I get the popups. This appears to be a bug being spread by the Android/Verizon stock apps.... Verizon needs to get on this big-time and quick !!!!

beachdog67
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup. This has begun appearing in my spouse's phone as well (we are on Samsung Galaxy 9+ models we purchased through the Verizon store).  Could not find a way to block the url in Chrome, so I too have deleted and reloaded the browser.
Will report back.
NOTE: Absolutely, positively, do NOT click on the link to "update" or "install" the "browser" the message is touting. I guarantee you that you'll be voluntarily turning over all your data and history, and quite possibly control of your phone, to some sort of evil doer.

beachdog67
Enthusiast - Level 2

ADDENDUM: Note to Verizon Customer Support. The Play Store indicated my Chrome app was current (no updates pending) when I went there. Thus my uninstall/reinstall.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

beachdog67, I am sorry to hear you guys are having this issue on your spouse's S9+. After deleting and reloading the browser are you still having the same issue?

JustinB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
beachdog67
Enthusiast - Level 2

I misspoke (typed). We are running Galaxy 8+ models, not 9s.

But to your more important point, no. She has not told me of any

recurrence. Deleting and reinstalling the browser has apparently resolved

the problem.

Thanks for following up.

If it should recur, is there anything I can do on my end to "help you help

me?"

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018, 1:25 PM vzw_customer_support <