"Optimizing Apps" ridiculousness...
appgrad99
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I turn off my phone and turn it back on (either by my choice or when forced to do so due to low battery, downloading new software, etc.) I usually get a message that says:

"Android is starting…

Optimizing app xx of xxx."

This is SO frustrating.  It takes a solid 30 minutes for my phone to become usable again.  I've been away from home, needing to use my phone, and can't.  Luckily, it wasn't an emergency.  My phone gets ridiculously hot during this time; whether it is charging or not.  Turning it off and then back on only makes it restart the "optimizing app" process.  I took my phone to the Verizon store but was basically told "this happens sometimes"...which is not a real answer.  That's code for "I don't know".  This never happened until I upgraded to the latest Android OS.  How do I stop this madness? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "Optimizing Apps" ridiculousness...
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've seen this happen before back in the Android 4.4.x days when I would change the runtime on my phone from Dalvik to ART. Each time I'd reboot my phone and it was set to use ART, the phone would Optimize each application for use. I would change the runtime in the phone's developer options.

First, make sure all of your applications are up to date in the Play Store. This will ensure anything that Android 5.x and newer relies upon, due to the runtime change, is built into the app itself.

Afterwards - has your cached data been cleared? Clear your phone's Cache by going to Settings > Storage > tapping Cached Data and clearing it. Then, reboot your phone into Recovery mode. Booting into this depends on your device, but once in recovery mode, scroll down to the option to clear the phone's cache. The phone will delete the data in /cache which is the Dalvik cache and Boot cache for the device. Afterwards reboot your phone again. If it optimizes once more, allow it to optimize. Then give the phone another reboot to see if it is fixed up.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
appgrad99
Enthusiast - Level 3

Moto X

Android Version 5.1

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Actually this has happened on ALL Androids since the release of Ice Cream Sandwich as the OS Optimizes ALL apps, Photos, Music, Pictures etc... on your phone.  1 trick to eliminate this is to offload your pics, music, videos etc... You can remove the Apps as well, but if you use them you will lose any stored data and settings so I would leave the apps on it.

Optimizing a phone with 250 apps (including all of the hidden ones that make the phone work) will take about 10 minutes

0 Likes
appgrad99
Enthusiast - Level 3

My phone says something like 129 apps now, several weeks ago I had deleted other apps and files I didn't need.  I'm still nowhere near 10 minutes of "optimizing" time though...  Thanks for your reply!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know I have seen this on my Android phones,but I hardly notice anymore partly because it doesn't do it as long anymore or at all and I rarely reboot my devices. The device that I might still see it on is the Moto X 2013, but I haven't used it for a couple of months.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've seen this happen before back in the Android 4.4.x days when I would change the runtime on my phone from Dalvik to ART. Each time I'd reboot my phone and it was set to use ART, the phone would Optimize each application for use. I would change the runtime in the phone's developer options.

First, make sure all of your applications are up to date in the Play Store. This will ensure anything that Android 5.x and newer relies upon, due to the runtime change, is built into the app itself.

Afterwards - has your cached data been cleared? Clear your phone's Cache by going to Settings > Storage > tapping Cached Data and clearing it. Then, reboot your phone into Recovery mode. Booting into this depends on your device, but once in recovery mode, scroll down to the option to clear the phone's cache. The phone will delete the data in /cache which is the Dalvik cache and Boot cache for the device. Afterwards reboot your phone again. If it optimizes once more, allow it to optimize. Then give the phone another reboot to see if it is fixed up.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

frustratedV, Let's work towards a resolution to this application issue. Have you run the Software Repair Assistance? http://spr.ly/6585BQLY1 Since this started happening after the software update, this would a great step to get a fresh start. Connect your phone to a computer and follow the installations steps. Let us know what your result is.

JoelR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
appgrad99
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you, I believe this has resolved my problem.  I hope, anyway!  🙂 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds good. Let us know if it doesn't. For the record with Android 5.0 and newer, the default runtime is ART,  which cannot be changed.

0 Likes