replacing damaged phone while contract still in effect
smreyn

What's the best option for finding a replacement smartphone that I can use with my present Verizon contract? I foolishly didn't purchase insurance, and now I have a water damaged Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere that I used only three weeks! I'm looking on Amazon, eBay and Craigslist, but it's still confusing as to whether I can use  a phone with my contract. Some ads just don't say. Also, this phone is about $400 brand new. What's a reasonable price to expect from a 3rd party.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: replacing damaged phone while contract still in effect
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

You would need to be sure that the phone is a Verizon branded phone.  Any other phones will not work.

You also need to be sure that the phone has not been blacklisted or banned in way (such as being reported lost or stolen or with an unpaid bill from the account).

If the listing says "unlocked" most likely it won't work with Verizon.

Note that you are not limited to that particular phone since you are purchasing it on your own.  If you find other phones that you want to purchase, as long as they meet the criteria, you can use them on your contract.

Make sure that you don't purchase a "prepaid" phone.

You might also look into Verizon's Certified Pre-Owned program.

0 Likes
smreyn

I don't think I would be eligible for the pre-owned program. My contract

isnt up until 2016, and it sounds like this might be just for new

contracts, or upgrades, or month to month.

0 Likes
Sparky13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon Pre-owned phones are just phones that were tried out and then returned and cannot be sold as new.  When you go to that section in their online store, it shows the list of devices with 2-year contract prices, but when you click on an individual device from that list, it will show you the "No Contract" price too.  That's the option you're eligible for.  Hope this helps!

0 Likes