Re: s5 lollipop update and draining the battery and slowing my phone down?
Snn5
Legend

Right now...choose later.  Some say they had no issues, but if you can use wht you have till 5.0.1 or later comes out, do so.  Right now 5.0 is the most recent I believe.

0 Likes
Aznanny52
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was so mad after I updated to Lollipop..... I absolutely LOVED my S5.  I bragged to everyone about the battery life.  Only charged it at night.  After the update, my phone would be at 15-20% around 11 a.m..  And the phone is noticeably slower, I'm always getting "cannot connect" to certain apps, the phone gets VERY hot and I get these over-heating messages.... I HATE this. 

To try an improve battery life, I've done the following:  (and the phone hasn't changed)

• I always clear my cache
  • Have uninstalled some of the apps
  • Turned things off I'm not using
  • Disabled Apps

I'm frustrated as heck with this.  Was thinking about the S6, but if it's going to have the same problem, I will switch to another phone!

0 Likes
Aznanny52
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just NOT liking this update and frustrated that the phone I LOVED has now become the phone I don't even want to use

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Aznanny52,

We want you to love your device again. Thank you for everything you have done this far to troubleshoot your battery issues. If you go to Settings>Battery what is showing to be using the most of your battery power?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
barabajagal

Az - more than likely, your phone is trying to re-index ALL of your data ALL the time. Go to settings, Battery, and you'll see a long list of apps that are sucking up battery power to confirm. Rather than try to address single apps, reformat your SD Card and then do a factory restart.  I have a Note 4 that had the same problem with power consumption. Indexing wouldn't stop but reformatting the SD card has given me a 1+ days per charge.

0 Likes
chiefpontiac
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not spending 2 days trying to work around this horrible update.  Verizon, Please fix the problem without me be your research technician....unless of course you'd like to provide me free service for a year or two.

0 Likes
patdar3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been in love with my Verizon Galaxy S5 since I got it. However, like everyone else, I'm also experiencing screen freezes, forced closures, overheating and rapid battery draining since upgrading to Lollipop two weeks ago.

The battery life has dropped from 16-18 hours, down to about 5 hours, and it's often so hot I can't hold it. This is completely unacceptable.

Clearly Verizon has dropped the ball on this one and for a company that prides itself on customer responsiveness, their lack of clarity and support on this issue - other than recommending you clear the cache, which is of little and temporary help - has shown that they are either aware of the problem and are clueless about what to do about it, or have such little concern for their loyal customers that they don;t care about their frustrations and just want you to buy another phone.

Unless Verizon steps up and issues a fix or a rollback for the S5, this will be the last time I do business with Verizon wireless. The phone, as it is, is unusable for me as I travel and cannot keep charging the phone as regularly as it now needs to be. If I am purchasing a new phone anyway, I may as well move to AT&T or Sprint and leave what  used to be a very reliable company.

Verizon...your move.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

It's bad for all providers as customer churn is a known fact in the phone business. I stopped in to a T Mobile Store to talk with a friend and a salesman  wanted to know was I another unhappy Verzion S5 customer. He  wanted to know if I was ready to switch. Verizon and Samsung are big boys and can take the monetary loss, but customers and tech writers will remember as the damage is already done. Verizon has an excellent network/system but Corp. Verizon knows it will take more than a great network to have a good report for stockholders.

0 Likes
rockjock298
Enthusiast - Level 1

Phone is almost back to normal. I had to completely start over. I completely reset my phone. There are a lot of things that are not the same but  I have had to redo almost every App's agreement it's almost like a new phone.

0 Likes
KeetaSpeed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having the same problems.  Yesterday I turned locations services off and put the phone in airplane mode.  It STILL stayed hot and the battery drained away - this is a serious design flaw in the update and obviously it has nothing to do with our apps (as Verizon is trying to pretend).  Spent an hour on the phone with Verizon customer service yesterday and they offered no solutions of any kind - just wait until Google or Samsung come up with a fix.  Unbelievable.

0 Likes